1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Countryman or DI from SVT-II (non-pro)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ninerfan, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    So I'm getting ready to do some more recording. I already bought a Heil PR-40 to mic my Bergantino NV610 with. I'm going to use a DI feed as well to blend with the mic. I've been thinking about getting a Countryman and running it speaker in between my head and cab. My question is if that will give me a better sound than just using the balanced out of the head without the countryman. I have some nice Seventh Circle preamps I am going to run the signal through (API and Neve clones). I'd imagine I will use mostly the mic signal and add in a little DI. Would it be a waste of money to get the countryman or would it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The Countryman will allow you to have power amp distortion included in your signal. If you are turning the SVT up, then it will be good. Also the quality of the external DI is better than most built in ones. BTW, other products such as the Radial JDI can also be connected to the speaker out like the Countryman. With any tube amp, you still need to have the speaker cab connected.

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    You'd have to turn up pretty darn loud to introduce enough power amp distortion to make a difference that way. Now you could do it just so that you could get a better quality transformer in to the signal instead of the stock DI. Either way make sure if you do go that route that you get one of the DIs that are designed to take a speaker load (like the Type 85/JDX48) not the standard DI boxes. Honestly I would prob just save the money, unless you wanted to get something to record a pure clean signal as well then you could mess with re-amping.