1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Countryman Type 85 DI Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 4, 2016.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey guys. So I was looking at DI boxes because I need one. And I know countryman is always a good one to do with. So I googled it and came up on this one. I think I'm gonna get one when I have the cash. Anyone care to share their exp with it?? Is it good with bass dirt/fuzz??

Also, can someone tell me what the "speaker/pickup" switch is and what it does please? I think I know but I want to know for sure!! Thanks all!

IMG_9229.JPG

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Type 85 does not attenuate highs at all, so it does nothing good for fuzz/distortion. You will need a separate device to roll off the highs the way a bass speaker does. The speaker setting cuts the input by 46 dB in order to receive the output of the power section of an amp, to get "amp tone" to the recording desk. Note that you still need a load as well if using a tube amp.

Jim Carr, bassbrad and gregmon79 like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Countryman Type 85 is your typical full-range active SS DI. Doesn't really add anything, doesn't really take anything away. I've found that no DI's are good for distortion unless they cut highs above 5k, and the Countryman doesn't, so you'd have to get a cut from elsewhere to make distortion work with it. It's a very good box for that kind of thing and I've got one, but it is what it is.

But one cool thing about it is that pickup/speaker switch. Flip it to speaker and plug it in between your tube amp's speaker out and your cab using speaker cables, and it will send the sound of your entire amp to the PA. You have to have a cab plugged in or you'll blow the output section of your amp, but I've done this many times with my tube amps and it sounds amazing.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh hell yes. So in other words, just to make sure I'm getting this right, if I plug this DI box in between my cab and amp, using speaker cables of course, it will almost act like mic'ing my cab??? It will pick up what's coming out of my amp and cab and send that to the FOH?

So why wouldn't this be good for dirt then?

Can anyone recommend me one that will cut highs above 5k?? Because I really do need that. I'm dirty 90% of the time or more. And not just OD. Fuzz, dist. You name it, I use it. A lot.

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What about the radial PZ-DI??

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It says it only cuts highs above 3khz.....not enough huh?

7. chris merrill

chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    I just got the radial PZ-DI. I'm digging it. Bought it for upright, which I used it for two gigs...but I've done far more recording with it with electric basses. It's very flexible with hi shelf and low cut. I'd recommend it.

neal davis, G RICH 5 and gregmon79 like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, not amp and cab...only amp. So no highs cut.

I don't know much about those types of boxes. Seen them, Palmer, Radial and Hughes and Kettner make them, but after my experience with a Hughes and Kettner Red Box, I'm kind of leery of them because the Red Box is only suited for guitar, and I don't know if that's the case for the ones Palmer and Radial make, too, and I'm not about to buy them all just to find out.

Me, I use a Broughton Low Pass Filter pedal to cut those highs. There's also a more deluxe pedal called the Omnicabsim that sounds like it might pretty interesting for that, too, but I haven't tried it because I've been happy with the Broughton.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    NKBassman likes this.
  9. sunbeast

sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    As mentioned, if you want anything resembling the tone coming out of your speakers in your DI signal you'll need significant filtering before the DI line. If you're using it to send to a FOH engineer at shows they might already be EQ'ing significantly at the mixing desk, but you can never be totally for sure there. You might look into a Palmer PDI-09, which can also be used as a speaker-level DI and has a few different EQ-curves built in that actually sound pretty good for bass (I known a handful of bassists that use 'em outside of myself). The Palmer is a passive DI unlike the Countryman and not nearly as pristine so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for recording purposes, but it is a great DI for live purposes either direct from your pedalboard or as a speaker-level DI.

gregmon79 likes this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    In simple terms, the DI will sound kinda like a cab loaded with a horn or tweeter turned on. Just more natural.

When you're typically listening to dirt tones they're coming through a speaker. A DI like the Type 85 will give you the complete full range signal that's coming out of your bass. The speaker isn't able to reproduce the same full range signal that the DI can so you can hear harsh/brittle highs that sound much more pleasing through the natural rolloff of the speaker.

That's why a lot of the "good" preamp pedals with a DI that can do distortion have a speaker simulator built into them.

RiZzBot and gregmon79 like this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So in other words a DI with a speaker sim on it could work well for me??

Id only be using it for live use mainly. Otherwise I'm at the mercy of the sound guys board or the houses PA. Which isn't always bad. I just want as much control over my sound as possible since in my area, no sound guy ever wants to mic my cab. I was thinking of the newer Rupert neve RNDI. But it's a little more pricey than I'd care to to pay. Not bad. Just a little more than I'd want to pay.

I'm liking the looks of the palmer @sunbeast. Sounds about right. The Omnicab has also been on my radar too @JimmyM, but I was thinking of that as more of an effect. It could be cool to use it strictly as a DI box. Never thought of it that way.

Great suggestions so far guys, thanks!! Keep em coming!!

12. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Look into MXR M80 ; Sansamp BDDI ; Aquilar Tonehammer DI.
    These are reasonably priced as well.

RiZzBot likes this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well I have a DI in my preamp, a Darkglass B7KU. So that isnt what I am after. I want a DI box that I can hook up out of my amp to the FOH.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Here is another question, if I have the B7KU that has a DI, is there any difference at all from using that DI to using one out of my amp??

I always thought it was nice getting it from the front of my amp but now that I'm thinking about it, unless I get say a Radial JDX or the RNDI where I can hook it up between my cab and amp, I am essentially doing the same thing, if I either hook a DI out of the front of my amp or use the B7KU DI, this is the same exact thing.......correct?

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    @bongomania too "The Type 85 does not attenuate highs at all, so it does nothing good for fuzz/distortion. You will need a separate device to roll off the highs the way a bass speaker does. The speaker setting cuts the input by 46 dB in order to receive the output of the power section of an amp, to get "amp tone" to the recording desk. Note that you still need a load as well if using a tube amp."

You know, after reading some more, I think an LPF and the house DI is going to be the way for me. I may not have much of a choice. You'd think that someone would've built a good DI for dirty bass by now....

16. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Do you use your amps pre section?

Are you driving your power amp section into saturation?

If the answer is yes to these questions, a DI box between amp and cab is ideal. Check with @Azure Skies to see if he could build you what you need.

Is there an FX loop in your amp?

If you don't really care about your power amp tone being in the mix (it may be subtle any how) and you have an effects loop, then you could do well with an OmniCabSim. They really are powerful for sending a custom DI sound to FOH. You can likely get very close to the sound of your current cab with it, but you also have the flexibility to taylor your sound for boomy venues.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I use the Electric Power Unit. So I dont normally drive my power section into saturation. I do however use the pre section in the amp. No effects loop.

It would be ideal to get my amp and cab to the FOH, but not a deal breaker. I would be happy if my signal didnt sound like horse shizznit and or bees. I guess I never seemed to have an issue with this before, but I'm not in the audience so I dont really notice. But this is something I've been meaning to get done/tackle for a while now. Maybe the Omni is the answer for me.....

18. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    The Omni could be, but you CANNOT connect it to the power out of your amp. It will need to be last in your FX chain. It does have a clean thru channel so your tone to the amp will be untouched. It may take a little time to dial in, but it will give you onstage control of your FOH tone.

19. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Not exactly, no.

The Countryman is a VERY clean DI. It doesn't affect the incoming signal in any way. That means if you plug it into the speaker output of your head, the tone coming out of your amp will be sent directly to the board. It will be a very good representation of your tone before it gets to the speaker cab. It will not sound like a mic on a speaker.

If you want a DI that can be plugged in between head and cab and does sound like a mic on a speaker, you want the Radial JDI or JDX.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You can't use the Omnicabsim as a speaker level DI. You would have to use it as a pedal, then go into your amp, and then you'd need to put another DI that does do speaker level in between head and cab.