1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Countryman Type 85 vs Radial J48 vs Apogee Duet 2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by izzy7, Jan 13, 2018.

1. izzy7

izzy7

Sep 9, 2013
    I am looking for a DI box to use with Apogee Duet 2 to record bass (US Standard Precision) and guitars DI.

I wonder which one would work better Countryman Type 85 or Radial J48 and would they be significantly better than Duet 2's DIs? I am looking to get as clean signal as possible and then further tweak it with IK Multimedia's Ampeg 2 plugin.

I know both of these are very well regarded but I read one paper published by Radial that claims J48 outperforms Countryman.

Anyone who has experience of both, do you find this bench test difference translates into something you can hear?

Any other tips to get my bass recording as clean and clear as possible?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It all depends if you currently have noise issues with your signal. Adding a DI such as those mentioned can help with boosting signals on long cables with passive electronics (Usually, 20 foot or more). If you're recording a bass that has a preamp you can get by without one of those added DI boxes. Or if you use passive pickups and a instrument cable less than 15 feet.

If you're experiencing noise, there could be an issue with your recording environment: like AC ground loop, bad cables, High Voltage near your location, or other frequency interference.

3. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    Duet 2 D.I. is going to be hard to beat. I don't really see the need to use an external D.I.
    I have experience with Duet 2, Apollo, MXR81, Aguilar THDI, and GK Plex D.I.

As a rule of thumb, best to use passive D.I. for active basses and active D.I. for passive passes.

I use an external D.I. for convenience and EQ shaping mostly. I can tone shape a tiny bit and also Split the signal so I'm going into two inputs (one with toneshaping and one clean D.I. as a backup).

Good luck.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Assuming there's no goofy impedance mismatch that needs to be corrected upstream of the Duet I completely agree. Apogee's front end, even on their entry level products like the Duet are really great. They sound good in that they don't seem to roll-off or hype things in any significant way, and they have plenty of headroom. An 85, JDI, etc. won't really provide much beyond this, again, assuming you don't need a step in between your bass and the Duet to correct for an impedance mismatch which seems very unlikely considering the Duet can handle a pretty wide impedance range.