Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

coupla acoustic bass questions....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    played my first gig with my new behringer bx 6000 and acoustic bass last nite. not sure if it was the amp, the room, or the setting, but i got some nasty damn feedback - AND THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED!!!

anything that can be done to alleviate feedback from an acoustic bass. i know the simple solutions - turn the amp away from myself, move further away - etc. do they have baffles or something like i was told they make for acoustic guitars???? if so, could you provide a link? are there any other solutions?

also - my E sting is deader than the rest of em. the others have punch, E string, nada. is there anything that can be done in order to get a better string to string balance out of the piezo? if all the strings are the same age, and acoustically they all sound equal - could there still be a problem with the pickup qualities of the E string? will it make a difference if I change the string???? i don't really want to because i'm starting to dig that flat dead sound on roundwounds.

helpeth me please.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not my area but know it's a problem. I heard that f holes are bad for feedback. But I'd move this post in to the URBs, I think you might more feedback (ha!).

3. How about a soundhole plug?

4. I too was thinking a soundhole plug thingy. Theres also a big foamy one too but from what I've seen of it it'd be a sod to get in and out.

What you can also try is find the frequency thats feeding back (cause it should be a certain frequency, maybe a few) and cut that at your amp if possible. It may mess with your sound but you'll be able to play.

As for the E string, I was gonna reccomend changing the strings but if they're fine acoustically, the problem lies with the pickup. I don't really understand piezo pups but there might be a problem with how the bridge is seated where the piezo is positioned. Or possibly a problem with the piezo itself. The guys at pickups might be a bit more helpful.

Josh D

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You don't need a soundhole plug.

Most likely, the impedence of the input on the amp is too low to get along with the piezos in the bass.

I use one of these:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=43

which has a 10 mega ohm input, so plenty of headroom and less squelch. You'll find that you have a fuller, less scratchy tone, too.

I use it with this:
    [​IMG]

The body on this thing is HUGE.

And, if I ever start to get a little feedback, I simply flip the phase switch on the Fishman, it goes away. But, with the Fishman, I've never really had much problem with feedback.

I love the Fishman so much, I use it with all of my basses now--including my Bongo! The optical compressor on the Fishman is great. I also use it as my DI at live gigs where I run to the PA (phantom power, too).

Of course, now that I've added a new transducer/microphone system to the ABG, I could have some fun next Friday getting it set up correctly on the fly not to yell at me. :bag:

Good luck taking care of the feedback, Joe!