Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coupla questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jblake, Feb 1, 2002.

1. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Alrighty,

I just got a new American Series Jazz. I hate the strings on it so I'm going to change them this weekend and get everything setup. My questions are:

1. Should I pop the neck off to make the truss rod adjustment? The bolt is accessable with a standard hex wrench.

2. If I do take the neck off: Is there anything I need to be carefull of when putting it back on? Other than stripping the screws?

Thanks.

Jon

2. I'm no setup guru, but I think the neck has to have string tension to perform a proper setup. In other words, leave the neck AND strings on the bass.

The way I do it: I hold down the lowest string, first fret with my left hand and the same string , 12th fret, with my right hand simultaneously. Then I check the space between that string and the 7th fret. It should be only a milimeter or two. If there's no gap, I loosen the trussrod. If the gap is too big, I tighten it. That's how I do it. But I could be wrong. :D

Jeff in Chicago

ps Make sure the bass is in tune before adjusting. Then retune after adjusting.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1. No.

2. Stripping the wood.

Most American Fenders are set up decently (at least before music stores hang them out). IME, too much tweaking makes things worse.

4. the strings add tension to the neck, and the tension is what the truss rod controls, so if you were to take the strings off, you would relieve the neck of tension. It would defeat the purpose of adjusting the neck tension if there was no neck tension.

What LakLnd5 said about fretting the 1st and 12th and checking string hight is correct. Even if you set your action high or low, the spacing should still be the same.