Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coupla rudimentary questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gweimer, Jul 9, 2002.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm fairly sure I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask those who definitely aren't guessing on this stuff:

I have a neck that I need to install some tuners on. The tuners I have available don't fit the pre-drilled holes (one set's too small, the other too big). Can I use the set that's too small, or am I risking problems? Would I be better off drilling out the holes to fit the other set? In general, is it recommended to have the shaft fit the holes exactly?

Thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I would be worried that the small tuners would move around some. There are bushings available in some cases that will make smaller tuners fit into larger holes. Otherwise, if there is enough wood around the holes, I'd recommend widening the holes and using the larger tuners.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That's what I figured. Thanks. Too bad, since the smaller tuners are Hamers, and there's just too much play to chance it.