Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couple ampeg questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jul 6, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys i just asked my mom what i can do with the money im making and she said save up. So thats exactly what im going to do. Right now what i have in mind is peavey 700max and either a ampeg BSE 410HS or SVT410HE. Can you ugys tell me some stuff about these 2 cabs? I looked at the specs on the ampeg site and they seem just aobut the same. I also did a search but came up empty handed i think. Also these 2 cabs are in my price range around 500-600$. Thank you

-Rob

ps Do you think it would be ok if i got a ampeg cab and hooked it up with a peavey head? The reason i like the max 700 is because it is the best bang for your buck 700watts @ 2ohms for 569$ at musiciansfriend. Or should i go with a ampeg head the only ampeg head in my price range in the b2r. Thanks for all your help

-rob

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The Peavey head will do a great job IMO. Both the 700 Max and the Ampeg B2R are all-solid state amps. Either amp will be great. I'd buy the amp with the most wattage, sounds the best, and has the best price. The Ampeg cabs you're looking at are both cool. I think the BSE series will probably be the lower priced of the 2 you're looking at. But by all means, try both the BSE series and Classic-series cabs out before you make a decision. I mean really test drive 'em. Hopefully, you'll be able to try both out side-by-side.

-A.P.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    One thing I can say about the Ampeg is that it sits in the mix perfectly. It has that Ampeg mid-range that works so well.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok thanks oe of my local music stores just got A LOT of new amoeg equipment in and see if i can stop by and take a look around.

5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Ampeg makes good cabinets, but you might want to go to Marc Serio's site at DR. BASSCABS.He could set you up with a killer cabinet for about half the price of the ampeg, and he would put the size and number of speakers you want in it.Might be worth your time.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Yea i know that he makes kick a$$ cabs but i want to test the cab i buy out first and then go from there.

7. Keentwist

Keentwist

Mar 22, 2004
    I'm not sure but I don't think Ampeg cabs are rated at 2ohms. :confused:

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have owned both the b2r and a Peavey Firebass 700. I was extremely unsatisfied with both of them. I would suggest getting a preamp poweramp setup. A used Ampeg SVP-PRO should run about $300 and an RMX850 about the same. This is the setup I have and I am more than pleased, plenty of volume and I get lots of compliments on my tone. If you can't find a used Ampeg pre, a sansamp RBI or a BBE Bmax will do a great job.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would not recommend the B2R. If you're going to get an ampeg for cheap, then the best you can probably do is the B5R. The B2R doesnt even operate at 2ohms... and lemme tell you, that's friggon retarded if you pick up a 4ohm cab. I would go with the Peavy and the BSE cab, although the BXTs are better. The BSE is lighter and will hold up just fine.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

That sounds like a very cool idea. But to get things figured out the pre amp is the eq and what not, and the power amp is what gives me my watts? Is that correct? And their just 2 seperate things. I hook them up together to get my head then i plug that into my cab? If thats right then i think im on the right track. Thanks for all your help. BTW id have to get one of those rack box things you keep amps and heads in wouldnt i? How much do those run generally?

11. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I just did some searching and found some stuff about tech 21 they have a 400 watt power amp 200 watt per side at 8 ohms. I dont know the price for it on the site they said it was supposed to come out between may and june. So figured i could get a sansamp rbi and that 400 watt power amp if the price is right. What do you guys think? I checked out bassnw and they have a used amp svp for 300$ But i'd rather have something new.