couple cab questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bukowski, Apr 25, 2004.

1. bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    i have a combo amp and if i get a cab, can i get a cab and hook it up to it and have it work? if so where would i plug it in? crossover?

also...whats the main differences between 2x15" and 4x10" cabs? i found a 2x15 ampeg cab for 200 localy and was wondering if i should get that or a 4x10

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    2x15 cabs will provide more low end, where as 4x10 cabs will provide more punch. Alot of bass players use just 4x10s by themselves, and sound fine. If you cant decide between a 4x10 and a 1x15, go the 4x10.

What sort of combo amp do you have? Some types have special inputs (the correct term alludes me at the moment) where you plug your cab in, and even more sophisticated bass amps have built in crossovers.

If you didnt have a cross over, you could only power either the speaker in your combo OR the seperate cab.
  3. Main question then....what is your combo amp? If its 50 watts with no ext speaker out then forget it. And I wouldnt run out and buy a 410 only to power it with a Crate 115 or something. Give us some specifics.
  4. bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    oops..i have a peavet TNT 115/bw, it has a crossover section with "low output" and "high output" jacks
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Looking at the manual at, your amp does not have an external speaker jack.

Unless you add a power amp (which you could patch in several ways) you cannot connect another speaker cabinet to the TNT 115/BW.
  6. bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    the one seen on isnt the same as mine..mines an older version

its got a crossover area with low output and high output jacks

its also got a preamp out and power amp in jacks (i dont know how those work)

ive read things about how crossover will split the frequencies up and send some to one speaker and some to the other. it needs something like this because the 1x15" speaker cant handle it all

if i cant plug a cab into the crossover section,what can i plug into it?
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do you have the TNT with the chorus? If so, these signals are for effects, not for speakers. AFAIK, the TNT never had a speaker out.

Among other things, the preamp out can be used to drive an external power amp.
  8. bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    yeah it does have chorus

so what CAN i plug into those crossover jacks
  9. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    You will need an external amp to run another cab with your TNT 115. I have an old 1985 model TNT 130 which is pretty much the same amp - only older.
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    First of all,

You did tell us what you have later on, but if you'd just fill out your profile then you wouldn't have to bother answering questions ;) :)
  11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    If I remember correctly, the Peavey has six jacks altogether. First, two INPUT jacks (on the far left side) that are where you plug your bass into. One of the jacks is the LOW input jack for when you use a passive bass, and the other is a HIGH input jack for when you use an active bass. Next it will have 2 jacks, 1 for preamp out the other for poweramp in. These are used to either give a signal to a power amp or receive a signal from a power amp, respectively. Then the two crossover jacks you're talking about are used for a LINE OUT purpose. You set the crossover to what frequencies you want to go to two separate amps.

Edit: I could have the location of the pre/power amp jacks and the crossover jacks mixed up. Been awhile.