Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couple Modulus Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I've a couple questions.. I'm not sure if this was supposed to go into the setup forum or not. So, if so, let me know and I'll delete it.

1. What do I use to clean a composite freboard and pickup covers on my Modulus? If you look at the picture below, up around the 24th fret, you can see where some parts are glossy and some arent. I've tried the wet cloth bit and it works for about 2-3 minutes. But, after the moisture dries, the "finger funk" comes back. Also, if you look at the pictures, you can see where I've used the pickup as a ramp. I thought when I took the photo that it was the shadows from the strings, but its not..

[​IMG]

2 I've noticed my gold hardware is starting to discolor. Looks as if the gold plating is rubbing off. If there really anything I can do about it?

I've had this bass since 1996 and need to give it a bit of TLC. I wax the body twice a year and try to clean it up as much as possible. But, there are a few things like the neck I want to get back into shape.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have used some sort of Dunlop cleaner on the fretboard on my Q6 and it worked quite well for getting the gunk off. Can't remember exactly what it was right off hand, though.

As to the hardware, if the gold is wearing/flaking off, I really don't know of anything you can do to stop that.

3. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Rennaissance Wax for the Gold.

Great on oil finishes as well.

Do as web search and you'll find it.

4. Try cleaning a tiny dirty area with some rubbing alcohol. It shouldn't hurt the fingerboard but don't go crazy until you know for sure.

I use lemon oil polish to clean the board on my Q5. There was a discussion a long time ago on TBL about oiling phenolic fingerboards, and Geoff Gould's opinion was that oiling wouldn't hurt the board. I don't use the polish to actually put a coat of oil on the board, I use it to get the dirt off and then buff with a clean rag.

Rick B.

5. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I've always treated my Modulus with microfiber cloths, and the like that you clean glasses and cd players with. I don't know why, just felt precious to me. :p Eitherway, it works.

6. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    On the phenolic board on my Modulus I use the Dunlop cleaner with a cotton cloth - and a toothbrush for the gunk right against the frets. In fact I just did a fair cleaning yesterday when I changed strings (the gunk isn't so bad if you clean regularly, like at string changes or every three or four months, whichever comes first).

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  8. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
  9. I'll have to run over to guitar center to see if they have any.. So, to clean the finger board, just apply to a soft cloth and rub until the finger funk goes away? Any special care I need to take?? From what I understand, the phenolic board is REALLY hard to do any damage with.

BTW. I didn't realize it was called a phenolic board. I just thought it was all graphite.

10. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    The neck is graphite, the board (on mine and looks like on your's as well) is phenolic material. Modulus makes instruments with wood boards on graphite, too. The board is not literally "part of" the neck.

On the cleaning, I spray the Dunlop cleaner directly onto the board. When wiping, make sure each wipe is with a clean part of the cloth, otherwise you're just moving the grunge from one place on the board to another place on the board via a dirty cloth. An on the toothbrush technique, I use the brush to loosen the deep gunk that piles up next to the fretwire, then wipe away with clean cloth.

Enjoy a clean guitar!

11. The phenolic fingerboard is actually made up of layers of paper that are impregnated with epoxy and (I think) cured under pressure. You have to try really hard to damage one.

Rick B.