Couple of amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Well I'm looking into buying a good amp probably pretty soon but I have a couple questions first. First of all, what would you recommend, buying a combo amp or the head and cabinet separate?
    Second, assuming the same wattage, are more speakers better in a cabinet? I mean would two 10's be better than a 15, and 4 8's better than 2 10's?
    And finally, I don't have a lot of money so I would like to buy used but is it safe to buy from eBay when you can't try it out first and you have no warranty?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    First of all, it is generally safe to buy from ebay. Check the seller's feedback rating. If he has sold before successfully, it is likely he'll do it again. If the person is new to ebay, e-mail first and request info. Ask specific questions. Like "does it work." Request detailed photos of the item.

I prefer using a head and cabinet to a combo for flexibility. I don't use my whole rig in every setting. I also figure I won't be out of a speaker if the head blows up. And I can always upgrade/change part without changing the whole thing. It is really a matter of preference.

I also think seperates have a better resale value unless to get a particularly hot combo, like a Redhead or a Metro.

As for speakers, it is all about the sound to want and the volume you need. There are dozens of previously posted string on this site to give you as much insight as you need. I would suggest running a search.