1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

couple of general questions

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Milothicus, Feb 24, 2003.

1. I am hoping to buy my first DB in the next few weeks. I've been reading everything i can find on technique, posture, etc. and i have a couple of questions that no one really answers....

first, the astonishingly stupid question. on this site, people refer to something as "the stick of pain". am i correct to assume this is just referring to the double bass in general?

second, the not-so-stupid (in my mind) terminology question. what exactly is 'first position'? i know it's a common term for upright bass, but what position does it indicate? and this is the part where i avoid the obvious 'position' jokes...........

please help little ignorant me....

2. My Low Ficus:
    "Stick of pain" is Ray Parker's affectionate term for the bass bow.
    "First position" in Simandl is really the second, the first being called "half". Confused? OK, on the G string, in half position, your first finger is on Ab. In first position, your first finger is on A natural.

Hey, out there: does this vary by edition? What about other methods that I don't know?