Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couple of problems with my SWR. Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bman, Jul 21, 2001.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I bought an SWR Workingmans 15 about six weeks ago. I got it used for $500. I figured it was a decent price, so I played it in the store for a while and grabbed it.

I've noticed a few things in recent days - after playing it almost every day since - and I'm curious what you think.

The past few times I've turned it on, I get a static noise, which then stops when the amp powers up completely. (It only lasts about three seconds, but it has me concerned.)

Also...
    I don't normally unplug my chord from the amp. I unplug it from my guitar and string it over the amp, so I haven't noticed this problem until now... Well, I unplugged it, and I noticed that the 'barrel' of the jack that goes inside the amp seems to move up and down. It's got a lot of 'play' to it, if you know what I mean. I can plug the jack in, and then move it around if I wanted to. (Why I would want to, I have no idea. I'm just trying to describe it.)

I'm starting to get the feeling someone has been inside this amp. Like maybe it had problems, someone hacked around inside it, and then traded it in when the problems didn't go away. I'm not sure.

What do you think of the static noise when I turn it on?
    What about the loose jack?
    Are they related? Any reason why these things might be happening?

Thanks for your expertise.

2. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    So... No one?
    Hey, I'm not Mr. 3,000 posts, but come on... It's not like I've got ebola or anything.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey man, take it easy! :)
    Those kind of questions are next to impossible to answer over the net. So people tend to be more hesitant to anwer them.

The jack could be repaired easily by fastening it with a new hexagonal "screw" from the outside (don't know the english term), if it's that type of jack (the pics on the swr site are too small). Or just replace it, or let a service person do it.

That noise might come from a faulty capacitor(?) that is loaded first on powerup to prevent the amp from 'sucking' too much current and activating the house fuse.
    Have a service person check it. shouldn't be too expensive.

4. Not too many people are on the boards today so don't get too ansy for a reply. Sounds like the
    jack might just be loose. Have you tried tightening it yet? Might solve one of your problems. The sound you get turning on I am not sure about, so you might want to take it in to a SWR certified repair shop and see if it is really broken. It might just be a little bug, and you could probably ignore it.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yeah Bman....don't be too antsy about gettin' a quick reply....wait until tonight around 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. and then bump it up to the top and see if you can get any answers.

I agree with the others about the loose jack...you may be able to tighten it somehow, you just have to figure out HOW. Another thing is that with that "play" in your cord, it could cause a static sound when moved around.

My school has an old Peavey TNT 150 (I think), and it has a REALLY bad static sound. The only way that we can fix it is to pick it up off the ground about 3 inches and then drop it, or maybe pound the the top of it a few times. Needless to say, I'm TRYING to convince the band director to get a new one:p

6. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Woops, didn't mean to sound antsy. I was just bumping it back up and babbling away.

My intent probably didn't translate well.
    What, you don't see the humor inherent in ebola?
    :)

Thanks for the advice!