Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

couple of Q's about New Wave bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, May 31, 2002.

1. 1. I think in the issue of Bass Player with Justin Chancellor on the cover, they review a cd of some new wave bassist gone solo... he used a fretless wal, and there was bass on only a couple of tracks. Anyone have any idea who that was? I would look, but I gave the copy I had to some newbie--- he was trying to learn 46 & 2. how sweet.

2. I'm looking for some good cure bass lines... preferably when Robert is using his Fender VI.

3. Anyone know where I can find more info about Justin Meldal-Johnsen? He did a good job on Tori Amos's Strange Little Girls, and got some cool tones. There's not much at his website

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I have that issue. Ill try to find it when I get home.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    1. Sounds like Mick Karn, my favorite.

2. Do you mean song titles, or tabs? Usually when Robert played the Bass VI it was a guitar line, not the bass line. Bass around then was usually a P-Bass, later Stingray and Gibson EB-2.

4. Cool, thanks.

Sorry, I should have specified. I meant song titles... I'm just interested in the tone of the Fender VI and how the it sounds in the mix when used like a guitar. :)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK - I could guess at a few but I'm not sure which. Mock Turtle Regulator is the guy to ask around here I think.

6. "Lullaby"'s main melody is played on a Bass VI.
    "Pictures of you" as well.

"to wish impossible things" from the Wish album has an intro with 2 Fender Bass VI's - one playing single notes, the other an arpeggio .

check out the live "Show" video- guitarists Robert Smith and Perry Bamonte play Bass VI's on several songs- including "To wish..." and "Primary"- both with a 3 - bass lineup.