Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

couple of questions before i get my new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrewd, Mar 28, 2004.

1. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    on saturday im going to a nice store to get a new rig. i'll be getting a QSC RMX 850, BBE Bmax, and whatever cabinet i try out that i like. what are some recommendations that you could make? as in, what not to forget to buy, etc.

2. Well, don't forget to get a rack to haul it in, and cables to hook it all up. (You'll want to use low impedance XLR to hook up between the pre and the power amp, if the BBE allows you to do that.) Other than that, it sounds like you'll be good to go.

Oh, and don't forget to come back to TalkBass and give us your impressions of that rig, especially the preamp. The BBE is a new product that most of us haven't had a chance to try out, yet.

Should be a slammin' rig!

3. Another thing that might help us in making suggestions would be to let us know what kind of music you're going to be playing, what size rooms, etc... If you're in a "mega-death-thrash-metal" type band a suggestion to buy an Epifani 210UL might not be so great. Let us know what you're going to be doing with this new rig!

:bassist:

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thanks for the responses so far! ill be using this with my experimental rock band, in which my only effects are a DOD filter and boss looper. ill probably also use it with my high school jazz ensemble, although ill have to turn it down quite a bit. ;)

5. I would look at either 4x10 or 2x12 cabs with a 4 ohm impedence for use as a single "stand-alone" unit. Pretty much anything from a major manufacturer is going to be decent (with a few the exceptions). If you're looking for portability you might want to try a 2x10 and a 15, two 2x10's, etc... Stay away from companys "budget lines" if you can. If you're a little tight in the cash department you might want to check out Avatar Speakers. If you're going to be using multiple cabs you will want to get them with an impedence of 8 ohms. Hope this helps!