couple of questions related to my second bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mahrous, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    so this is my second bass still in the design phase. i am done with pretty much everything except for these couple of questions.
    things i am decided on so far concerning the woods:
    ebony fretboard :rolleyes:

now i am gonna start a large research concerning woods so i can put my finger on exactly what i need. your opinions are of great help as well. i am looking at the following
    for the neck: wenge, walnut, maple or bubinga
    for the body: ash core (chambered probably)
    walnut or ebony tops (depends if i can find ebony wide enough to use only one piece) or zebrawood
    bubinga (if top is ebony) or zebrawood (all around zebrawood bass with ash core).

what kinda sound am i looking for? scooped high mids. i hate high mids so much! it needs to pack hell a lot of growl as well, so lots of low mids and bass there. it will basically be used for my jazz purposes. clear highs are essential. i might be restringing soon to EADGCF instead of BEADGC. i will start with BEADGC first. i will also add a switch to the Duncan circuit for the Slap Contour option to scoop some more mids.

i have a Seymour Duncan MM Stingray replacement circuit. i am under the impression that it can only be wired for a single pickup. is that true? or can i rewire it to be used with two pickups? if so, can anyone provide information. i bought it by mistake. i dont like single pup basses at all! i feel they are limited.
    if i cant use it with more than one pickup, i will be going for a Delano Quad Coil Soapbar or Delano MM style Humbucker so i can go for single coil options etc etc. i am kinda looking for the max flexibility with this single pup circuit.

its a neck-thru 36" 6stringer with 29frets. i kinda went for the 29frets to be used as artificial harmonics markers (its an idea. if u think its stupid say so).

Hipshot A Style Bridge, Gotoh tuners, double truss rod. will probably use thru-body stringing. i would like killer sustain with this!

my questions:
    1. suggestions for the woods i posted above. unfortunately in Egypt, we do not use exotic woods so much just because we dont have them. the ones i posted above are pretty much the best stuff we have here. so please dont tell me to get Chestnut or other exotics. i can use them as veneers but not wood tops.

2. the pickup placement. i read in Melvyn Hiscock's book that neck pup should be placed at the 24th fret harmonic. this is a single pup bass, so what is the best position for it?

3. the nut. is it cool to make my own nut out of ebony instead of buying a bone nut? i have been working at a furniture factory for quite sometime (all my life actually, it belongs to my folks). and i am quite familiar with all woodworking techniques and procedures.

4. i am not familiar with tilted headstocks yet. is it ok to use slotted headstock design in this bass?

5. i am also intrigued by the Precision Bass split coil 6strings pickup made by Bartolini. anyone used that before? will it give me the sound i want?

Attached Files:

2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Most of what you are asking about is part of the bass building process, isn't it?......meaning, you try different stuff out. If you want to use ebony for a nut, try it out. You can always remove it and use something else. Most of this stuff is subjective, but it seems like you already know what you want to do, and have all the details about wood, electronics, nuts, bridge, go for it!
    BTW....that headstock on your design looks waaaay to huge.
  3. +1 on the headstock design... thats BIG.

Ebony will work fine as a nut, I've heard a few guys use it without problems.

If you're looking at getting a single P pickup for it (i'd reccomend a bridge J pup aswell for greater tonal options when you're playing) I'd probably wanna place it about where it is on a P bass... but right now I can't quite remember where that is. :confused:

Ah well... looks like a nice single cut body shape though, enjoy. :)
  4. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I would bet that that bass will have a huge neck dive.
  5. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah, just wanted to say that you might want to redesign your headstock. Try and make it as small as possible (to lessen neck dive) and try and make the tuners line up with the grooves on the nut. In other words, make the strings as straight as possible across the nut. That'd keep you better in tune and also get rid of extra bends in your string...

Otherwise, I like your design! Good luck!

6. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    yeah i am redesigning it at the moment.

will see where that will take me. thanx for the input.

anyone has any clue about that Seymour Duncan preamp? can i reconfigure it for 2 pickups instead of 1?