couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by northwalianbass, Jan 29, 2006.

1. hi there people,
    got a couple of questions i need to ask before i start building my bass.

what glue should i use to glue a bookmatched piece of wood (flame maple) to a body core piece (swamp ash)?

what are some good ways of bringing out the grain in flame maple so it stands out more?

should i just use wax for finish or should i use oil then a wax coat on top of that??? could i please have some names of oils and waxes suitable.

2. hello, the best glue to use is titebond the aliphatic resin one (red bottle), but any good woodworking glue will work, but titebond resists creep in the woods better.
    I would use a oil first as that wil bring out the grain more than wax, rub down well, going through the paper grades untill you get right down to at least 800 or for a real shine go down to the micromesh papers, then apply at least 10 coats of oil, then rub down with 0000 wire wool and wax, the best oil would be tru-oil but amost any finishing oil would work (danish, tung ..ect) and and furniture finishing wax will do, or a good beeswax.
    hope this helps
  3. thanks alot, clears up all my questions, now all i have to do is wait for the delivery of the woods and i can start cutting and routing.
  4. cool, glad to help, heres a bit more comprehensive run down if your looking for a matt finish don't sand past 800 put on 4-5 coats of oil then wax, if you looking for a satin finish sand up to 1200 put on 8-10 coats of oil then wire wool and wax or for the it almost coud be a polished finish sand right the way throught to 12000 micro mesh (stew mac does a sample bag and I think so does david dykes luthier supplies who also does tru-oil and lemon oil) apply 10-15 coats of oil, (with the grain and as little as you can get on at a time) wire wool then finish with one coat of lemon oil buffing straight after.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    For that joint, you can use any glue. Paper glue will do, if you manage to even it out. Or, more realistic, Titebond or any PVa.
    Fine sanding. The finer you sand, the more grain will show and the more depth you will have in the flames.
    Oil first, wax on top. If you use Dansih Oil with Tung oil bas, you don't need the wax, but it adds to maintenance.

First time? Keep it simple!