1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Couple of TV Jones questions...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by biguglyman, Nov 20, 2017.

1. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    So, the wife asked me today what I want for Christmas. I'm thinking new pickup. newbass.jpg I bought this Squier VM Cabronita bass that sports a single fidel-itron pickup. I've been told the TV Jones Thunderblade is a direct replacement. So, my questions:
    Is a Thunderblade a direct, screw-in replacement with no mods?
    Which Thunderblade do I go with: neck or bridge?

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Thunder'Blades or Thunder'Trons, neck position would be sweet, depending on the sound you're after...should drop in, but measure to be safe!

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The Thunde'Mag should fit to, just another flavor option.

blindrabbit and dukeorock like this.
  4. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I want a blade so I don't have to sweat pole pieces.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    They sound pretty awesome too. :)

6. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    You’ll find people have used the neck or bridge in that position. I ran a bridge in mine due to a little hotter output and the blades being having a little bit of a radius in the blades compared to the flat blades on the neck.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. cruiser150768

cruiser150768

Jan 15, 2015
    Fender use the bridge pickup in the Cabronita and Proto Precision basses.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    F7737C8E-A601-42CC-9346-4D3B3A4F3F36.jpeg
    ^This. Works great in mine.
    As far as I know the Cabronita uses a neck pickup and the Protos and Custom Shop versions use the bridge pickup.

9. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    I have it from a source at Fender that the Squier VM Cabronita uses a neck Fidelitron, while the Fender Cabronita uses a bridge Fidelitron (the pickup positions on the two are slightly different as well). The CS Proto Precision uses a TV Jones bridge Super'Tron (yes, a "guitar" pickup) which, in reality, is identical to the ThunderBlade but with a different pickup cover to provide some visual differentiation between the "guitar" pickup and the "bass" pickup for marketing purposes. Internally, they're identical... so if the OP wants to go with a TV Jones blade pickup, he can pick the one he thinks looks cooler visually (SuperTron vs. ThunderBlade)...they'll sound exactly the same.

10. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My Fender Cabronita originally came with a neck pickup.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    Strange. The pickup in my MIM Cabronita had a sticker on the back that read "bridge".

Could be the reason why some people had problems with weak sounding outer strings on the Cabby (which I don't have), since the pole pieces are spaced differently on the neck and bridge versions.

I can only guess that Fender likely used whatever they had on hand at any given time. But the official word I was given is the Fenders were supposed to be equipped with bridge Fidelitrons, the Squiers with neck PUs.

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Any of the TVJ pickups will work great. Whether or not they have polepieces. Don’t limit your choices on account of that.

The Thunder’Mag is amazing if you like aggressive tone.

EB_4342.jpg

EB_4343.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  13. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Probably the case.

14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I had the Fender Carbonita, I put the TV Jones Thunderblade in it, yes its a direct replacement...BUT...make sure you get the NECK pickup, the bridge version doesn't work as well, the output is lower and it doenst pot smoothly with the stock pot. I tried both, the NECK version of the Thunderblade is the one you want to drop in there. It sounded amazing, the tone was "wide"...its just seemed to spread out horizontally as far as the ear could hear, Tom makes great pickups and is an awesome guy.

blindrabbit and bholder like this.
  15. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Odd, I had the exact opposite experience. The bridge pickup is hotter [according to TV Jones] and louder than the neck pickup.

blindrabbit and bholder like this.
  16. bass40hz

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    I worked directly with them, they sent me the bridge pup first, it was as I described, they sent me the neck pup next and it was as I described...specs are specs, and I too hold them holy, but...real life application is a different game, music is felt and heard, not measured...we as bassists know that for sure ;-)

bholder likes this.
  17. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As did I. Not questioning your experience just saying mine was the opposite. I guess as long as you end up with what you want...........but it sure can be confusing to those trying to find out what would work for them.:wacky:

Old Blastard and bholder like this.
  18. bass40hz

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    One size does not fit all ;-)

Old Blastard and bholder like this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Bridge pickups are normally hotter because the signal is weaker there - physical vibration amplitude of the string is limited closer to the ends, larger near the middle. The neck pickup is generally louder in practice even with a "weaker" less-wound pickup because of this effect. It would be unusual to be the other way around.
    Edit: But reality is entirely subjective, so use what sounds better to you.

Old Blastard and 2saddleslab like this.
  20. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have TV Thunderblades in a custom fretless and they are freaking awesome. Can't go wrong.