1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Couple of unusual GC finds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Largedon, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I was at GC in St. Louis the other day and saw these 2 basses by makers I hadn't heard of before. I took some pics and figured I would throw them up here.

The first was a Robin Freedom Bass. Apparently its a company out of Texas that only makes guitars now, but did make basses in the past.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one as selling in the $300-400 range. Tried it out. Not the greatest tone ever, at least not for me. It had a set of flatwounds on it, so it had a pretty "thuddy" tone. Strings could be 15 years old though.

The second was a Switch bass. I tried a GIS for this brand and came up with nothing. The bass was only like $200. Kind of an unusual body style with the weird contouring on top and was a dark green with silver speckles. Had a P/J setup. I didn't get a chance to play this one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry pic, I was in a hurry.

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    like the headstock on the robin

3. Robins at least used to have a very good rep; I'd love to check that one out.

4. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Those Robins are excellent basses. I played a single pickup Freedom for many blues gigs. The Freedom series was assembled in the US from Japanese made necks/bodies. Those Rio Grande pickups sound great. Tommy Shannon played a black Freedom bass with Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble for a few years. I've seen these trade for $400 t0 $550 in much worse shape. That is a great deal if it can be had for $300 to $400.

5. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    I saw a spectacular Warrior 5 at the GC in San Marcos, CA and jammed on it a few times. Someone recently grabbed it, alas. God da** those things blaze. Flat flat maple fretboard.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Switch is out of business.

These are some more of gadfly instrument designer Trevor Wilkinson's bright ideas.

Their instruments were plastic composites. "Vibracell" is a highly consistent tonewood substitute that was invented in Korea some years ago. Switch's process for making these was patented. Some of the more expensive Switch instruments have fingerboards of the Ebonite ebony substitute used in making wind instruments. Some Switches were Roland MIDI-equipped.

I have a couple of their guitars I got when they were blown out for $99-$200 at MF, about 70%+ off. They're not bad. Reasonably good Chinese build, Wilkinson-designed pickups and hardware.

Here's a big spread of pictures of my Switch Oscar IV. Noted guitar photographer Mark Wong thought they looked interesting, so I bought one for him to photograph. A5 pickups, very mellow, jazzy sound.

A friend refers to this axe as "the guitar that killed Elvis." :p

7. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
    Crestwood or Bridgeton?

8. Hmm....I may have to go back up and take another look at that Robin. I just popped in to get strings before a gig so I didn't have much time. My wife would probably kill me if got it. Stuck with the age old dilemma: marital bliss or new bass, which do I choose.:eyebrow:

I found another article on Robin basses and they called the p/ups "Powerbuckers". Really intriguing. Maybe I can get GC to throw some new strings on it to really get a feel for how it sounds.

9. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Get the Robin! I knew someone who had one and I was always incredibly jealous when I saw her band play! :)

10. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Largedon....I would be all over that Robin....thats a very good price!

11. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    The Robin....definitely. Thumbs down on the Switch.

12. I'd rock that Robin in a second.

13. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I also would rock that Robin in a second. Scoop it up before someone else does!

14. Does anyone else have an unusually large collection of Modulus basses at their GC? I went into the one in Las Vegas and there were like sixteen different Modulus models there. I also found a vintage Hofner in a GC once. Maybe my local GC just sucks.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Diggin' the Robin.

16. I had a Japanese Robin 10-12 years ago...the model with a humbucker by the bridge and two single coils. Another nice bass I sold too soon.

17. It was at the BRidgeton store. Go get it if you got the money. I'm broke, spent too much last year. It definately needs a good home.

18. Just wanted to bump this back up. I was in the STL Bridgeton GC over the weekend and the Robin was still there. I can't afford it at the moment, but maybe another TBer from the area can give this bass a good home.

I've never done it, but you might be able to call their store and buy it over the phone and have it shipped. I didn't notice any cosmetic or electronic problems when I played it, but I didn't go over it real close. Just a quick inspection.

19. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    That robin looks like it has some mojo. 6.5 hours away...

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I emailed Robin a couple of months ago and they said they were looking into the feasibility of making basses again and I hope they do. I got a chance to tour the factory in Houston back in 1990 and they made some really nice instruments. We happened to run into Tim Kelly of Slaughter who was looking over some bodies and wood options. I'd definitely jump on that Robin given the chance.