Couple Question...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BLonge, Feb 7, 2005.

1. BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    ive played with a pick for a long time and imt rying to learn how to use my fingers effectively. im having two troubles:

1. my fingernails make the notes feel clangy..but when i chop them down a little that tends to go aaway for a little while, anyone of you have the same prblem? what do you do about it?

2. when i alternate between fingers, it sounds like im cutting the note short and it turns into a rhythm that doesnt flow. when im hitting the string with one finger, it seems to work well but when im using two it just sounds ugly, how can i play fast effectively?

also,bonus playing with a ****ty peavey millenium bxp i bought last spring and im finding im really not getting the tones i want,whether it be the tone of the bass in the song Stellar by Incubus, or the hardcore tones of pete chilton of Bane. im really looking to play a wide variety of music, and from what i can gather, a jazz bass would be my best bet...however i face the daunting task of choosing one for a reasonable price. i was thinking about a fender, but if i was going to get one itd have to be made in america, but id have to buy used,and ive heard that some people try to screw you by putting a fender neck on a ****ty squire. the other brand i was looking at was schecter. ive heard good things about them and never heard anyone bad mouth them...i have UP TO 800$ to spend so if anyone has any ideas,id greatly appreciate it.

thanks guys
  2. stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    1. Just keep those fingernails cut short. There is really no other solution.

2. Don't worry about playing fast until you get the tone down. Start slow and play things like scales or exercises until you can get a consistent sound. Make sure to play through the string and not mute with the finger you used before. It will probably take a while to get up to where you are with a pick, but it will be worth it. I used to worry about not being able to play as fast as "that" bassist, but if you take it slow and practice hard you will be surprised with how soon that will change.

*Best thing to do, I think is hit the local music stores and play all the jazz-type basses you can, find one that is used, comfortable to you, and not in horrible conidition and go for it.
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The flow with your fingers will come with practice bro, keep at it. I used to not be able to play with a pick, now I have no problem because I worked at it a lot. You'll get used to it. It's hard to cop people's bass tones, especially on an album because they have so much available to them in effects, amps, cabs, basses you name it they can get it. Also, have you ever played a Jazz bass? It may or may not be the right bass for, Dirk Lance played a Warwick Streamer Stage II with Basslines pups in it, not a Jazz. I don't know anything about Bane though, sorry. Good luck man, try to get into local music shops and play whatever you can get your hands on.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As others have said, unless you like the sound of your fingernails, keep them trimmed.

And practice is what it takes to even out your alternating 2 finger technique.

Since this is more technique oriented, that is where I am moving it.