Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 1, 2004.

1. I went to the music store and saw the head I wanted. A Peavey Max 700. I was blown away by the sheer mass and weight of the thing and decided I just cant have something that heavy and big. So, the alternative. A GK 1001RB, 3-space SKB shallow rack, and Korg DTR-1000. Pretty light, and would look cool too. Now to the questions.

1. Is the GK top ventilated or back ventilated?

2. Depending on ventilation, do I need to leave a space above the the GK cause I dont really like when theres an empty space in a rack.

3. How far down can you detune with the Korg?

4. Will it tune down to CGCF?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
  2. If you decide an empty rack space is needed you can fill it with a vented cover.

Sorry, that's all I got.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Korg Tuners are pretty shallow. I'm pretty sure all GK's are top cooled, so even with the Korg on top you shouldn't have a problem. I like to keep air flowing above and below my head just to be sure.

My vote: you shouldn't have a problem with the Korg on top. They're shallow as anything.
  4. Does anyone have a link to show me a vented cover?

Tplyons, you're saying that because the Korgs are so shallow, i could put the right up next to each other?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ

Keep in mind the amp is 8" deep. Therefore the vent is about 5 or 6". The Korg is almost 4.5" deep, so if you put them right on top of each other, you'll probably have about 60% of the vent covered.

If you ask me, it's probably possible to do it if you're not running high volumes. If not, get a vented panel.
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It seems like a 4-space shallow rack would fit your needs the best, unless you could only get the 3-space. You could have the tuner in the top space, then the empty space with the covers, then the head.

I'm not sure how low the tuner can tune, but if it can do a low-B, it can do CGCF.

Hope this helps. :)