Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jun 13, 2004.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok guys Ive been reading alot about bass rigs and such and it seems alot of guys have a preamp. Now heres my question what is it and what does it do? I've looked at some on the web and to me it seems they just add a little extra EQ to what you already have or am i mistaken?

My other question is I'm lookin for a nice all around good 4x10. I've found alot of stuff out about avatar but the price for daves 4x10 is a little much on my budget. I want to get this cab to go with my tnt115 and later get a head for it so ill be able to use it to its full potential. Ill be using this rig (tnt115+4x10) For gigs at my church, practice at home, and jammin with my friends. Now portabilty isnt really that big of a deal if its to heavey ill get casters or get a dolly and lug it around that way. I'm going to be mainly playing metal stuff at home then id probly be playing christian rock stuff at my church. I'd like an avatar but the price is where it gets me. I've also looked into the following ashdown,peavey,GK,hartke, and used SWR stuff. I wouldn't mind a hartke but I've read tons and tons of miced reviews about em. I've heard the xl and pro series are the best but i also read that hartke dosnt ship you new drivers when you blow em so im a little bias on that. Also idk how 4 aluminum cone drivers would sound with one 15 paper driver. And also this 4x10 is going to be put to use in the future when i play larger gigs ect so id like the wattage at least 400 or higher. The head i hope to get with it will be a ashdown MAG300 from I've read about it its really nice. If you guys could help me out it be great THANK YOU

2. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    All amp setups have a pre-amp and a power amp; you need both. Most people have amplifiers that have both in one unit. The pre-amp is the input section and the power amp is the output. Some people aquire these things as separate units for various reasons, but it is just a different way to do the same thing.

3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    think of it this way:

combo = pre + amp + speaker (cab)
    head = pre + amp (no cab/speaker)
    pre = pre (volume/tone control/ effects switching etc...)

if you are picky about your "sound" then eventually you'll want to go pre+power amp+cab, if you are not tone picky, but like alotta volume you will probably go head+cabs, if you play at home (by yourself) alot or play nursing homes (joking) you will probably get by with a loud combo (about 150w).