Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couple Questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Artie, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Ive been playing for awhile and I've been trying to learn more about theory so I went to some websites but I was confused on somethings possibly becasue of my complete lack of musical knowledge. Concerning Time signature say like 3/4 do you play 3 quarter notes then rest for the last one I'm not sure just wanted to clear that up. ANd does anyone know a good site/s where I can learn the entire bass clef staff and it shows how it corresponds to which fret because there are three, I think, e's on the bass so are there three e's on the bass clef staff? And FInally I want to know what IM supposed to do next I play mostly just with the guitar with some minor variations where ever I see fit so any instructional help would..uh help.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    In 3/4 time, there are only 3 quarter notes per measure. The 3 gives you the number of notes per measure and 4 tells you that the quarter note gets the beat. If you're in 6/8 time, there are 6 notes per measure and the 8th note gets the beat. Here's a link to a graphical representation of this: --> http://www.jazclass.aust.com/basicth/bt2.htm

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
  4. thanks the sites helped a lot

5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ