Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

couple questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 17, 2006.

1. ok, first one, now that my 1x15 is under way, the 10s in my 4x10 cab are really getting on my nerves (Hartke's classic farting bass sound). Its not like its overpowered 300w 8ohm cab, 250w@4ohm amp, but at playing levels after the drives seem to get warmed up, the low end goes to ****, So i was wondering what drivers some people would recomend for replacement (i still need 8 ohms at the jack) that wont exactly break my bank. I would prefer some decent lows with clearer highs as well, but if i have to sacrifice one for the other, ill sacrifice lows for clear warm highs.

Second quesiton, for rackmount tuners, which is the better bet and why? A Sabine RT700 or a Korg DTR1000. Are either known for interupting or distorting the signal chain? (ill also have a BBE sonic maximizer by the end of this weekend, should i put that before or after the tuner?

2. eh....guys?:help: :bag:

:p

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    matching drivers to cabs is tricy biz. there are what is called theile-small paramaters and various programs used to match the properties of given drivers to specific cabinet dimensions. So just throwing a different set of speakers in the 4x10 won't magically result in a better sound. My advice is to wait and see how the combination sounds. Also, if the sound goes to heck when the amp "warms up" there could be an issue with the amp itself, not the cab.

ultimately, if you're not happy with the sound of the 4x10, you may want to consider trying it out against other similar cabs (with your bass and head) and seeing if you can find one that you like better.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The point of having a 15 and 10s should be to allow the 15 to do what it does best, handle lows, and the 10s to do what they do best, handle everything else. Doing so requires either bi-amping or employing a passive crossover to properly route the frequency bands to the correct cabinet. Running both in tandem results in neither operating as well as they should.

5. i know, ive got a crossover and everything to split the signal

and as for the theile small, ive been playing around in win isd with different drivers in a similar cab design to what ive got, and all the different drivers (all two of them) that im looking at performe better than the hartke things that are in it now (in ISD anyway)