Couples sharing a headstone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChrisB2, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    What do you think? I went past a cemetery today and saw one close to the road, and thought "not sure I would want that." Don't know why, it just seemed odd.

My dad passed away in '09 so mom is a widow. They purchased a plot and a couples headstone before dad died, so her spot is already there next to him. She has no interest in other men (she's 90) but what if she did? Wouldn't that make it awkward if she did remarry?

I remember seeing a headstone in our local cemetery once. It was from the 1800s. The husband, evidently, had lost his young wife when she was only 20-something years old. His name was also on the stone, but his date of death was never recorded. So I assume he was still young too and moved on, married someone else, maybe even left the area, and probably was buried with his next... or other next... wife.

I could see if a couple died in a sudden accident, sure, plant 'em together. But I don't know... otherwise it strikes me as a little weird.

If you had a couples headstone/plot and your spouse was gone, would the fact create a sense of restriction??

2. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    There's a really big monument in a cemetery around here that has a dude and his first wife buried together, and his second wife off to the side with her own stone. Dude died before the second wife, so I wonder how she felt about all that.

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Just as strange is that I have heard of couples sharing the same cemetery plot where one casket is buried on top of the other. Whoever dies first goes on the bottom.

4. e995aca48ff7a981ad78fd881347d01c.jpg

BAG likes this.
  5. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Doesn't bother me. I'll be burned and scattered.

The coolest ashes scattering I know of was when a couple of blokes who worked as snow-makers at one of the ski resorts near here died together in a car crash. Their ashes were mixed in with some snow-max and they were fired out of a snow gun one night during snow-making to become part of the ski run.

ImNotJoel and Hoff Kinkmeister like this.
  6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Dust is dust. Why pay more than necessary? Put my carcass in the weekly garbage collection if they`ll go for it. Certainly i"m not missing it.

jthisdell and BAG like this.
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i never understood caskets. seems wrong. as a kid, burning or naked burial seemed like common sense if done properly. people getting buried with jewelry takes the cake, imo.

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Back in days of yore, you'd purchase a family plot and stick everyone there, if you were well off enough.
    If you were real wealthy you'd have a spot on your estate where you did all the burying. Not sure if the latter is still legal

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well..... "till death do you part". After that its all cleanup work and memories for the living.

10. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a real problem with being buried and my using a spot of land forever. Seems a poor use of resources. Please cremate me, better would be to build a big funeral pyre in the backyard but I think local ordinances may discourage that.

kesslari likes this.
  11. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Nothing wrong with it, I've seen many who have, some to keep costs to a minimum, others, it could be more of a romantic gesture.

It could be worse I suppose.
    You could have separate headstones, the newer stone has an east or west pointing arrow with the inscription;

"I'm With Stupid!".

ChrisB2 likes this.
  12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm planning to go through a manure spreader and fertilize a corn field or get fired into the ocean by trebuchet to feed crabs. No point in wasting the energy to burn a carcass when it can be put to use. My wife may have other opinions.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    My mom passed about 18 months ago and my dad had her cremated with the intention of saving her ashes then being cremated and both buried together. They both rate burial in a national military cemetery but regs won' allow but one set of remains per hole so he went ahead and had her ashes put in the ground and reserved the spot next to her for himself.

Wifey and I are both going to the body farm at UT Knoxville.