Coupling - GRAMMA/wedges/stands?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cristo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I'm wondering if I want to use one of these type devices...

I've got a single 210, and thus it is sitting low on the floor. I like it tilted back a bit best, so that the mids and highs are pointing at my ears instead of my feet. I've tried it horizontal, vertical, tilted, whatever.

Now I'm wondering about either getting it off the floor completely on a stand, or using an isolation riser which would eliminate coupling (but not tilt the cab), or using a wedge, which would tilt it back, but maybe not isolate/reduce coupling as much since the rear of the cab would still be touching the floor.

Of course, I might find that my low end totally disappears if I decouple the amp - I don't know.

I like the idea, at least in theory, of hearing the sound out of the speakers and not the sound being transmitted through the floor as a big speaker cone. But maybe I need that "cone"...

And before you say it, no, I'm not looking to buy a stack of cabs just to elevate the 210. It's seems plenty sufficient in the loudness and amount of gear to lug around categories!

Anyone with any experience using any of these methods - please comment pros & cons!
  2. My experience has been that 'de-coupling' a large cab like a 410 is great in most cases... I always keep my castors on my large 410. However, decoupling a small cab has, in general, been a bad thing for me.... too much loss of low end out in the room, unless you are playing very softly or in a very small room.

Of course, if you are on one of those 'hollow' wooden stages, decoupling is always a good thing no matter what the cab.

I really like the 'tilt back thing for a small cab... allows you to hear but still provides, to my ears, more solid low end in most cases than getting it up on a stand.

Of course... IMO
  3. I used a 210 for my gigging for a couple of years, and eventually built a stand for it to both raise it up and tilt it back and had no problems with the lows going away, and in fact felt like I had more control over the tone on stage than when I had it on the floor. The only drawback is that I did not use it for FOH sound but only for a stage monitor. If I was using it to provide sound for the audience I would set it on the floor to get maximum bass out front.
  4. Kind of what I was thinking - with just a 210, I don't want to totally isolate it, but tilting it back improves mid clarity while leaving some coupling for booty shaking bass.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

Or this one also by quiklok WS-540

I was looking at one of these at one point. It folds down smaller, has adjustable height, and keeps the cab flat, so you can still rest your amp on top.
  6. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A Gramma will sometimes have little effect but is never a bad thing, and in some cases (hollow box stages) it can be essential. It only mechanically decouples your cab from the floor - you can still control acoustic coupling by how close you place your cab to a wall or corner. Deep bass is always better tight and distinct, rather than muddy.

Another big factor is that it cuts down low vibrations finding their way to mics.