Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Court questions....the law got me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Sep 14, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I got pulled over by the police a month ago for having expired tabs(didnt know they expired). I also didnt have the current address(moved in December) on my drivers license and I didnt have proof of insurance(was old insurance papers).

I was driving a backup vehicle(truck) that I never drive. My other vehicle was in the shop.

So I have to go to court. They usually throw out the insurance if I bring in proof. The license and tabs I will get a fine for. But I have no idea why I have to go to court. Do I have to gve a plea?? Im lost!!

Funny thing is I have never gotten a speeding ticket or anything for that matter.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They will usually dismiss the tags fines as well if you can demonstrate that you have renewed them.

But you'll still pay court costs, hence the court visit.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That's strange. I was pulled over in May for expired tags. But before the officer hit the lights, he'd already checked my plates in the database. I renewed my registration, but forgot to put the new sticker on...

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Dropping that fine would be cool. But why the court date?? Seems a bit overkill. Do you have to pay the fines and court fees at the time of court or do they give a timeline?

By the way thanx all for the replies. Im just a bit nervous since I have never had to do this before.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The court date is so they can charge court fees. You are supposed to pay immediately after court, but some states have extensions. TN offers a 60 day extension.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok I was wrong....but something about that just seems wrong.

Another side note.....I have heard people bad mouth Police and I always felt that was wrong. But this officer was rude and a jerk. I even got out of my vehicle(probably a no-no) so he could continue his rudness away from my daughter.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Don't sweat it. Just show up, prove your residence, your insurance, and that you've renewed your tags. Unless you're a serial tag-expirer, they'll probably dismiss and you'll just pay court costs (usually less than $100). Cheaper than them convicting you, in which case your insurance would go up.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx!! Sounds like you work as a lawman or legal office. Or you got a lot of tickets!!! I should have called my old High school buddy. He had a 70's Dodge Charger that got him in plenty of trouble. :p

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Not an attorney, but I have had to deal with the expired tags ticket twice. First time, dismissed with a warning. Second time, dismissed with a warning and court costs. I don't plan on a third time.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx again Lyle!!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You were violating the law and got caught. What's so confusing about that? The cop was just doing his job, rudely, perhaps. Of course, you were the complete gentleman.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually I was being a complete gentleman. Are you thinking maybe I wasnt?? You dont know me Munji but I am a very polite person. Heck I hardly complain if I get the wrong food at a restaurant.

Me getting a fine(s) isnt wrong either, I am ok with that. I was driving my old truck to get some groceries and pickup my wife so I could pick our other vehicle. I am guilty. Give me the fine, I will pay it and get the the tabs up to date. Thank you have a nice day.
    Mind you this is a truck that hasnt been driven since last winter and I never thought of looking at the tabs....am I wrong?? Yes!! Do I need a cop checking the equipment on my truck to see if its legal, checking lights, seeing if the tires are further out then the fenders.?? It is stock!!

My problem was the court date. Why sneak another fee into something. Why a date?? I cant see any reason other than to get more money.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    White collar criminals are generally quite polite, when they're being arrested. Don't confuse polite behavior for being allowed to "get off easy".

I'm curious, how long had your tags been expired?

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Jamie - call the clerk of the court. See if they will drop the date if you pay the fine / court cost up front. Won't save you any time, but it will be a lot quicker and less hassle than going to court. Going to court, even for a taffic ticket is not the best way to spend your day ... you could, you know have a root canal instead ... Seriously, give the court a call and see what they'll do.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, just get everything on the truck up to date before you call the court. The officer gave you a court date because you had expired paperwork. Around here you probably would've had your truck towed and would be walking home. You should be glad the cop allowed you to continue driving the truck.

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes I got everthing up to date a couple weeks ago. Got the new tag and got my birth certificate and new license with current address.

My insurance info card was through August 6th, I got pulled over on the 16th. My other cards were good thru October. Not sure why the dates are different. We pay our insurance payements all at the same time.

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

I wasnt being polite to "get off" easy. My father is retired Police detective and my step mother was officer for over 10 years. I also used to do father-son tournments with other officers and family. So to me they are just doing their job and I know they are doing a serious job.

But this guy was rude. I dont expect a friendly service etc but he wasnt the nicest and wasnt what I would consider to be a good example of a what I would like to see from officers in our community. But that is fine. We have moods and maybe he was having a bad day. Or he thought I was going to have a record or he was trying to intimidate. Dont know. Not a big deal it is over. I screwed up with not paying attention to the tags and taking my time with updating my license. Fine.

18. The court date may be mandatory for one/several of your citations. In NJ, that would be the case. Sorry, dude. :confused:

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dont know about your jurisdiction, but here, you pay "Court Costs" regardless if you show up or not. If you pay a "waiver"
    (Mailed in signed guilty plea with a preset fine amount), you still pay Court Costs.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ah. I misinterpretted your post... I just figured there had to be more to it, ya know?