Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Courtney Love Denounces Women Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here we go again on what turned out to be a controversial topic. In the TGIF entertainment section of The Palm Beach Post, Courtney Love is quoted as griping about the difficulties of searching for a female bass player for her band Hole. "I've been looking for a year. The problem is we don't teach music to girls in this country. They send me their stats, their resumes, their measurements, and then I listen I listen to their tapes and they can't play."

She may be right or at least partially right. But actually, I was surprised because I thought that the scene was changing in the last decade and I would have conjectured that she could have found some killer female bass players out there by now. Maybe her difficulty rests more with her style of music. Maybe the well trained lady bass players in this country are playing other styles of music, pop, country, funk, smooth jazz or alternative or classical.

That is not a condemnation of her style of music. I'm just saying that maybe most young women who take the time to actually train to a professional level of musicianship choose other styles, for whatever reason they may have. Maybe girls tend to be more conservative in their music choices.

While some young women would like to play for Hole, it is a sad commentary that most are concerned more about their image than their playing. Part of that might be due to the image of Hole, though. It does in many ways have a certain image, and that image isn't about incredibly difficult or complex music.

Still, there simply must be young women out there who are adequate to the task of filling the Hole bass chair. Part of the problem may be they simply don't know Love is looking. Perhaps now that Love's complaint has been published, one promising talent will step forward...that unique combination of talent and correct image she is seeking.

But I posted this, to ask you all if you think Love's experience is typical. Is it really true that young women do not have the skill, training and dedication to be bass players in a band such as Hole.

Jason Oldsted

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jason -

As always, consider the source. "We don't teach music to girls in this country" is a load of hooey. The probable reason Hole can't get a good female bassist is because it's Hole. What happenned to the other bassists, by the way?

Does Courtney Love consider herself musically educated?:confused:

Don't tell me she studied piano from age three until her late teens and then started playing grunge..:rolleyes:

Will C.:cool:

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'd say...that most of them are probably overqualified...:)

4. In the March 2000 issue of Bassist mag she stated this too and thought it was sad. Now they got a new male bassplayer instead, guess they got tired of looking. :)

[Edited by Mesa Man on 12-02-2000 at 10:24 AM]

5. The first one died from a heroin overdose, the second one quit to join The Smashing Pumpkins (who play their last show tonight BTW).

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'd venture to guess that many skilled, talented and motivated young women who play bass would not wish to play in a band called "hole" with an erratic psychotic arrogant b!tch like love for a boss, regardless of money.

i know that i wouldn't work for the male equivalent of her, regardless of the band.

how many male bass players would work for a heroine addicted psycho in a band called [Insert crude synonym for male genitalia here]? especially if the band sucked?

the problem is that many guys don't mind sucking on an instrument, if it means they get to play crappy party tunes and get "chicks", but invariably the majority of women/girls that i have met that pursued bass guitar either were beginners, or else they were skilled and serious players. i don't think that girls use bass as an instrument to attract sex partners like many male bass wearers do. the female equivalent of those guys tend to be satisfied in the groupie role, form my experience.

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-02-2000 at 08:22 PM]

7. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    im going to assume that Johnny T. up there doesnt like hole, ahh well, i dont really likem either, but if shes lookn for a bassist, i hope she finds one that meets the requirements.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    hey isn't this why we have those 6 and 7 string basses, JT?;)

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-02-2000 at 08:23 PM]

9. Boplicity

To John Turner, I laughed and laughed when you talked about "male bass wearers." That is so funny. They are joined by many male "guitar wearers" also. By the way, I kind of thought Courtney Love was a female "guitar wearer." I have never read anything particularly flattering about her guitar ability. If she were to submit a tape of her solo guitar stylings, I can imagine no one would confuse her with Al DeMeola or Steve Vai, maybe not even Slash. (Sorry, actually I kind of LIKE Slash.)

I am dismayed that Love gave up her search, taking the easy way out to hire a male bassist. She gave up too easily IMO. There ARE excellent female bassists out there, but maybe they believe having the "Hole" gig would be a black mark on their resume. They probably believe other bands would showcase their training better.

Jason Oldsted

10. Not to stand up for Ms. Love, but since when did technical ability equal the ability to write an interesting song? We all know that all of Hole's popular songs were written by her late husband or one Mr. William Corgan, but she still should not be discounted just because she is not sone guitar goddess.

The same goes for many other people in the music world. Virtuosity does not necessarily a good songwriter make.

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I thought she got Cory Parks, from Nashville Pussy, back in late summer? Personally, I would rather see Hole go away.

12. Boplicity

In reply to Matthew West, I agree that being a guitar virtuoso does not equate with being a great song writer (singer, front woman, etc.), but I was relating what I said about Love to the fact that she is judging other female bassists as deficient in technique when one wonders how well she is qualified to judge bass technique.

OK, granted, Love has been performing long enough...more than ten years...she can probaly recognize fundamentals such as the ability to keep time, remember chord progressions and song structure, stay in tune, play in the correct key for the song, and similar rudimentary bass skills. I'll give Love her due on that. Also, I can't imagine that a bass player for Hole would need to be a skilled tapper or slapper or particularly creative or inventive as a bassist, so if the gals who sent tapes to Love sucked so badly that they couldn't work their way through three or four chord songs, then I guess even Love could recognize the deficiency.

For myself, I have tried to picture what playing for Hole would be like and what I imagine would be the biggest challenge would be a backstage and onstage chaotic environment in which volatile, unstable behavior and unexpected happenings would take a toll on one's mood, health, and musicianship.

Jason Oldsted

13. Point taken.

The money would have to be very good

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What is popular is rarely what's good.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Originally posted by JasonOldsted [/i]
    ask you all if you think Love's experience is typical. Is it really true that young women do not have the skill, training and dedication to be bass players in a band such as Hole.

Jason Oldsted [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd say...that most of them are probably overqualified...:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Amen. I've seen Jennifer Finch with L7 and it didn't take long for her ability to take my focus off the fact that she's female and redirect it more towards the solid foundation she lays down for the band. Courtney might be a candidate for Jennifer's "S**t L**t"

16. ms. love is a freaking kneecap scab

17. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    She is probably right (Shock, Gasp!).

Its hard for any band to find the right bass player and there are even fewer women bass players. To locate a female bass player with the right skill level, the right sound, the right look, the right attitude, and the right availability would be tough.

Its always hard to find a musician who fits a completed band. I'm no big fan of Hole but golly gee....get off her case on this one.

18. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Personally I think Courtney Love sux! :rolleyes:

She has no right to pass any qualified judgement on anybody. She is just a drug posessed exhibitionist who lives in the shadow of her legendary late husband...

I mean, doesn't her guitarist look just like Kurt? (I could be mistaken.. I saw Hole on TV and he looked VERY much like him)

~Lox~ (An Englishman in Copenhagen ;))

19. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Well, if Courtney said it, it must be true. Come on country, teach those girls some music! :rolleyes: Give me a flippin break.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Kinda like Yoko, huh? :rolleyes: