Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coutney Love Searching for Lady Bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, May 3, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Courtney Love has posted ads in various media stating that she is looking for a lady bass player who can "really play" and "looks like a goddess." I can really play, but at sixty years of age, I hardly qualify as a godess (if I ever did.) Though I'd nearly kill for the gig, I thought I'd better announce it here, because I don't think I have much of a shot. It would be gratefying as heck if one of our other bass ladies here could get the gig.

I have lost the ad. I'll search at Google and see if I can find contact info which I will post here.

2. Boplicity

OK, here is contact info I found at backstage.com.

Phone: 212-802-7269

Mail audition videotape to:

P.O. Box C238, New York, New York 10011

Good luck to any who apply. Oh, Love is looking for lady guitarists also. That add states in capital letters--NO BOYS.

I wonder what happened to her last bassist. What was her name? Melissa Auf der Mer or some such? She was a goddess.

If I were forty years younger, I'd apply.

3. Not that I am female (to the best of my knowledge), but what kind of things do they generally want on an audition tape of this sort?

I've done jazz and classical auditions on trombone, but I'm not sure what a video-taped rock audition entails.

4. If I liked Courtney Love, and I lived in America...

And I could play decently....

5. Boplicity

Actually I gave that some thought. If I were younger, I'd send Courtney video of my BEST band performance so she could see that I have experience. Also I'd show her that I could play her style of music. I'd also include a brief video of myself speaking in which I discuss my experience and training. Then I'd play a solo demonstrating various techniques that I do well. Probably that solo would be based on one Hole song or a medley of Love's biggest hits. I'd dress in a manner likely to appeal to Love's concept of a rock goddess. My little talk would also include my musical influences and favorite musicians.

I'd try not to be too overbearing, because I think she wants a competent back up band, but not anyone who will be a threat or a showstealer. I don't think she is looking for Oteil Burbridge's or Vic Wooten's chops.

Her ad states that she loves Flea, but doesn't want a bassist who plays like Flea. From that I'd assume she'd want a demonstartion of sound technique , good timing and understanding of basic theory, but does not want a virtuoso bassist who will steal Love's thunder.

I'd also explain that I am eager to travel, have no incumberances (such as a potentially jealous husband or small children who will need my attention) or any other demands on my time.

I suspect, though I may be wrong, that she will know instantly when she views the video if she likes the looks and attitude of the auditioner. I suspect the most elementary talent will suffice as long as the looks are right for Courtney. Thus she might spend only thirty seconds on most videos, and may watch only a few the whole way through. If I were to send a video of myself now, she'd throw it in the trash as soon as she saw that I am old enough to be her mother.

6. i dunno if this is the one your talkin' about, but the bassist who was playing with SP before they disbanded had left Hole for that gig. dunno what happened after. has Courtney been bass-less that long? :confused: i dunno, really.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Right on. I also believe that your comment applies (sort of) to appearance. Even after her plastic surgery makeover Courtney doesn't exactly have supermodel looks, so she'll choose a bassist that looks pretty good and moves pretty well, but not enough to upstage the star.

I put Melissa in that category. Personally speaking I also think she's a goddess, but objectively speaking both Melissa and Courtney are roughly equidistant from the current standard of beauty here in the USA (fwiw I stopped subscribing to that standard years ago).

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    This is a job for Prime Mover! :bassist:

:D

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Prime Mover would fit the role...
    Rana Ross would be sweet too.

Then again I hate courtney love, and I think this is kinda sexist. maybe its just me?

10. Maybe its just me, but i think this is crap. If a dude band posted ads saying "NO CHICKS" some feministic chicks would be all over them like (insert subject) on (insert another subject). I think courtnee is crap and i hate her so much, and it shouldnt matter how the bassist looks, because not even a good looking bassist or a good playing bassist can save her music or her ugly self.
    :mad:

11. A few weeks ago, I saw a documentary suggesting Love was directly responsible for Kurt Cobain's death. Although the story was pretty one-sided, it really made me think. Didn't care much for Hole (et al) to begin with, but now I really can't stand to even look at that witch.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  13. Boplicity

My husband is encouraging me to apply. But I think if she were to hire me for publicity or whatever twisted reason, she is harder up than even I could have imagined. I mean, after all, I am Mick Jagger's age!! :D

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I read a Rolling Stone article about the feud between Courtney and ex-Nirvana rhythm section. The fact that Courtney claimed that Kurt Cobain actually hated Novoselic and Grohl shows what kind of a person she is. But there's not exactly a shortage of a-hole rockstars out there... it would be a good gig.

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Agree 100%. All over them like Martha Burke on the Masters. :spit:

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    OH....MY....GOD :eek: :eek:

That would be my actual dream come true :oops:

Do you think she'd be interested in an underage girl in the middle of her exams from London ?

I would saw off my own legs to tour with Courtney

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've never liked Courtney - but this would burn my butt coming from anybody. What would people say if there was an ad for a job in the newspaper that said no Blacks or no Christians...she should look for the best bass player that plays her style and wants the gig - I hope she hires a beautiful chick that sux at bass and makes hole suck even worse...stupid courtney...I never did like her...(Les Claypool voice on/) On the coat tails of a deadman she'll ride she'll ride....

18. See, that's why I think Courtney is annoying. Everything is "Her way or the Highway.." I'd rather just stick to my "unsigned" band than play for her.. PLus, I am prolly too young for her band....(I am 28)
    Caroline

19. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Melissa was from Montreal,umm yeah...ever seen a video of her play...um yeah...:eek:

We are talking about Hole,right?:D