Cover Albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Good

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Lame

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. ignorable.

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    It really depends on who is doing what. There have been some that appeal to me and others I though were trash.

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    The best cover album ever was "The $h*t Hits the Fans" by the Replacements. They confiscated a cassette from somebody in the audience who recorded a drunken set of unrehearsed covers. They released the cassette.

3. O.A.S.I

O.A.S.I

Jan 10, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    How about the RATM Renegades album? Even though it maybe isn't a groundbreaking album, I still like it very much. I guess I just love the idea of a rock group covering Cypress Hill, and I don't see alot of other bands beeing able to pull it off so smooth.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Me First & the Gimme Gimme's rock the heck out of covers!

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    As with an original album, it's the artist, arrangement and choice of songs that makes all the difference.

Pin-ups from David Bowie was really good. He continues to do the odd cover on his albums.

In The Mood For Something Rude from Foghat is a largely unknown album of really cool versions of old blues/country/funk material.

I have a CD from The Hypstyrz (out of Minneapolis) that came out a few years back. Essentially a 25 year old board tape, these guys just abuse their cover sets something fierce. Very fun and cool collection of standard bar tunes, influenced by the likes of The Ramones and Suicidal Tendencies.

There was this old album that was almost all cover songs. I think it was called Meet The Beatles.

6. They are often ignorable, but if a band takes the songs and finds a good balance between making it their own and staying true to the originals (Metallica, BTBAM as mentioned) it can be an entertaining listen. Too much transformation and you may as well not call a song or album "cover". Too little change and you may as well only listen to the originals.

I remember getting a Metallica tribute album one Christmas that had a bunch of random metal/rock musicians collaborating (including a pre-tallica Rob), many of which I admire, but the results were a bore.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Todd Rundgren's Faithful is an album of cover tunes.
    His covers of "Good Vibrations" & "Rain" are scary good.

8. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    Duran Duran's "Thank You" is nice.

They covered songs by artists that had influenced them most, and their cover of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" is even better than the original - according to Lou Reed himself. :)

Other artists covered are Iggy Pop, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Sly & The Family Stone, Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, The Temptations, and Elvis Costello.

Some interesting info on the album's credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_(Duran_Duran_album)

Cheers,
    Rainer

9. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    How about:

[​IMG]

and then this (parts of which I like better than I)

[​IMG]

But this cover album just slays (and I just got it in the mail last weekend - love Sleep's "Snowblind" and Scorn's "The Wizard" is just off the hook - gotta love Fudge Tunnel's "Changes" too - man, Earache in the early 90s!):

master.jpg

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You got that right. I forgot about that one.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021