Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cover Band Alert! "WE'RE Next! Call your Attorney Now!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Sep 11, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MM that sucks.

3. this copyright law is getting outrageous...

:meh:

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    In the future, all music will be outlawed! ;)

Shadows of "Joe's Garage"???

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm pretty sure it's the club's responsibility to pay those fees. And I can't think of a single instance where that's been called into question.

6. P. Aaron

Is just playing the song over and over again off a legally purchased CD, with people singing along, as much of an infringement as a cover band hired by a club to play other artists' music? The karaoke bar bought the music.

I am getting paid to play other peoples music, but the artists are not compensated for it. Nor do I plan to have agreements with them in the future. So, I am more "criminal" than the karaoke bar!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, cover bands or the club owner respectively have to pay licence fees here (GEMA licences) - I thought it's the same in the US?

The karaoke thing is ridiculous though. Karaoke isn't big here at all anyway.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In the story it reads:

"Parrotheads would likely have to pay annual license fees of about $1,000, said Jerry Bailey, a spokesman for BMI. "

That doesn't seem too bad. $1000 per year is about $2.75 per day... Isn't that normal for Jukeboxes and such?

9. P. Aaron

Well our band just started out hashing out covers to round out a set. We played at a few parties, and the drummer got us a good stint at a local club. We just showed up and start playing.
    License? Licensing? Huh? What?

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't believe its the band's responsibility typically. I think its the venue.

We have some guys here that are cover band pros it will be interesting to see what they do...

11. P. Aaron

Give us their take will ya? I'd be interested to hear what others think of this too. Any Union Musicians, and/or long-time players?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, the venues are required to pay fees to BMI or ASCAP, not the musicians. Even places that have canned music (or Muzak) like restaurants are supposed to pay, thus the idea of lawsuits over karaoke.

I thought this thread was going to be about cover bands that used file sharing to get recordings to learn from :meh:

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh my god. This is getting more and more ridiculous. This is starting to feel like record companies are fighting a battle they are just realizing they are beginning to lose. The old ways of making billions off of music I think are beginning to end. I dont' think it's going to be nearly as a lucrative industry in the future. Who knows? If might even get back to being more art driven than commerce driven. Wouldn't that be nice?

I actually had a music guru guy (I think he was with Muzak) come into my store while we were playing CDs over the PA system. He was asking me about whether we had paid liscensing fees to play the CDs in the store, and implied that consequences for not doing so could be severe. THEY WERE MY CDS!!!! We were listening to them for our own enjoyment, and this dude wanted to rain all over our parade. Needless to say I gave him the boot out the front door.

These guys at the bar paid for the karoke CDs. Why should they have to pay anything more?

14. P. Aaron

Hey, I try with my threads. Better than when I was a newbie.

At least I know I could get a job as BMI's or ASCAPC's enforcement wing.

15. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    It is the venues responsibility to pay for licensing fees related to operating a business. If there's a jukebox in the club, they are paying a flat fee to cover the performance royalyies of all the music played.It stands to reason that the club, bringing in the live music, is responsible for all the related fees. I bet thats how it will be handled legally after the first lawsuit. Whats going to happen this weekend when I play at a wedding. Do I have to keep a running record of all the music I play? What if I allude to another tune when I solo? Its going to be too big and too nebulous to be enforced properly. They can't even account for the records played( hence, the "flat fee") at a bar.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, if you're hired and have a written contract, be sure you signature looks like a scribble, your address is fake and and wear sunglasses on stage.

* Stands up and says*

"Any body who wants to hear a Stones song, throw in a buck"

then says

"Anybody who wants to hear Freebird, throw in
    $2." [ Brad Johnson, this is an example of @sshole tax. ]

Then adds quietly
    ' I don't think we CAN collect enough to do a Mettalica song tonight..., sorry ...'

* And waits for the collection plate to come back*

Thor

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    They need to ban karaoke, period!! Who wants to hear a bunch of drunk people sing gay songs out of tune!! Every time I go to a bar that has karaoke, I end up laughing myself sober! It's a waste of beer money!!

** Start of bitching**
    This whole copyright thing is getting way out of hand! I understand that songwriters need to be paid for what they write. And bars need to pay a licence fee for karaoke. Are the record companies realy that broke? I don't think so!!!
    ** end of bitching**

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm gonna go stab some music executives in the face with a pitch fork. who wants to come?

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    It's not the face you need to stab...It's their wallets!!!

Wait a minute...we ARE stabbing them in their wallets. Thats why there are so many lawsuits!!

GREED is one of the seven deadly sins!!

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played in cover bands for more than 20 years, and I seriously doubt if any of the club owners paid a license fee for it. This is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Considering most of the artists whose music we play started out doing covers in bars without paying fees, I can't see where they would mind too much.

I figure I'm doing them a service by promoting their music, so they shouldn't complain.