1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cover Band: Only one not wanting to do a song...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Waterpilot, May 11, 2011.

1. I'm in a cover band. We cover some 90's alt rock and older punk. Two guitarists, me, singer, and drummer. It's all for fun, we get along well, and plan to play out a little bit sometime this summer.

A song was suggested to cover and we went through the usual process of all of us thinking about it on our own and investigating our parts. I love the song. It's "Wicked Garden" by Stone Temple Pilots.

I went through my process of looking for tabs at a few different sites, youtube, as well as Amazon and eBay for any tab books I can buy. I still don't have a developed ear and I can only read a tiny bit (though I'd take notation and work it out but can't find that either) but we're all in the same boat and are playing for fun.

Long story short, I decided I'd have a really difficult time learning it due to ability, and unavailability of a great tab, books, or youtube videos. I e-mailed everyone explaining why but only the "band leader" e-mailed back saying no problem.

But... All of a sudden they started wanting to practice it. The two guitarists had been working on it anyway and the vocalist had been practicing it as well. I said I didn't want to do it again during practice but they kept urging me to try or to just follow the guitars.

I'm unsure if I should stand my ground or just man up and put the work in. Which for me, will be a lot of work...

What would you do?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Learning something you previously weren't capable of really has no downside IME. Put in the work.

Maybe they can help on any parts you're having difficulty with.

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Just learn the chord structure of the song if you're getting hung up on perfecting all of the fills and riffs.

4. I know... You're right! I just get so frustrated sometimes. Especially when I can tell something it wrong, but can't figure out what or why (If it's me or the tabs for instance).

5. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Look it as a great opportunity to improve your ear training and to push yourself to learn something above your skill level right now. If, as you say, it's only for fun go with it and the other guys should be willing to help you out. After you learn it you will feel great about it I'm sure.

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree with the others, push yourself to learn the tune. It is good ear training. Ask for help from all your bandmates. You can do it! Plus it's a pretty cool tune.

7. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Put in the work bro, playing and learning songs that are difficult is what makes us better. Seems like you have a casual band with good relationships, tell them that this is a hard one and it may take you a while to nail it, shouldn't be a problem.

8. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    PS, if there are specific parts that are kicking your ass. PM me, I'll figure it out and tab it for you but I might not get to it until the weekend. I don't have the patience to tab out a whole song, but always willing to help out another bassist!

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    It's probably a lot easier than you think.

Your band is just for fun so don't sweat over it.

These fun bands will give you a lot more time to mess around with and learn how to learn songs.

blue

10. Not one person is letting me off the hook! :D

11. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Rober DeLeo is a helluva bassist! I don't think Wicked Garden is that hard though, see my previous post, post #8

12. Yep! I PM'd ya and I really appreciate the gesture!

13. IME in a cover band wanting to play out scenario, its better to learn and trial songs than argue the merits of not doing it at all. Especially when you suggested it.

At least that way, you do the song and the band justice and let the crowd decide if its worth hanging on to. I took this approach after realising how much the stalwart approach can affect a bands 'mojo' as it were.

Oh and next time I'd do the research and decide if something I'd like to play is something I can play (or can learn to) before making the suggestion to my bandmates.

As for tabs, head on over to Ultimate Guitar, download a trial of GuitarPro, or powertab is free, and learn the song. Here's some links:

wicked garden | Song search @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Cheers,

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Here's the tab:

Intro:

A 10----------5------10---------5
    E --10-5-----3-5------10-5-----3-5

Verse:

A
    E -3-5555...... Just repeat this over and over. Listen for the pattern.

Pre Chorus:

A
    E -3-5555...... Same as verse.

Chorus:

A -----------5----2--02-02-2--02-02------------5----7777...
    E -2--02-02--------------------------2--02-02

Bridge:

A
    E --3--2--3-23-5-5--023--2--3-23-5-5--023--2--3-23-5-5 etc...

That's it!

Let me know if something isn't clear. Feel free to PM, too.

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Let me edit that some since the numbers got squeezed together

16. You mis-read my post. I didn't suggest the song. It was suggested by one of the guitarists. :)

17. Huh... Haven't come across this before. Thanks for the link!

As a side note... All 3 tabs (Which I appreciate very much!) are a little bit different and the tab I'm (maybe was) is a little bit different then those. Hence the confusion.

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    If you EVER ask yourself if you should man up.......

19. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    The differences aren't too terribly important, since they all are roughly the same. The tab I posted is a rough sketch of how I play the song... or at least how I think I play it. I did that from memory :p

Just fiddle around with what I posted and you should be able to figure it out in no time! And don't worry about being 100% perfect. If you're in this band just to have fun, then have fun with it and make it your own :)