Cover band promo materials?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I'm getting back into gigging after a long hiatus. Band is keys/bass/drums/ sometimes trumpet. A mix of standards and R&B (think Sinatra to Bill Withers) Have a couple gigs lined up with no auditon, one is a friend, other is a new venue willing to take a chance I guess. Medium sized city,
    Maybe a dozen venues give or take. Pay is likely mediocre

To branch out, what do we need for
    Promo materials? The singer thinks we should record 4-5 songs in a studio. I'm not sure if that is normal for cover bands. I'm also not sure it is worth it. There aren't that many places to contact and I have a suspicion that studio time could be well over 500 bucks. I'm assuming anrusimentary website or Facebook page and a few pics would be standard as well? What else?

Thanks in advance

2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Record a video at the gigs. If the audio turns out halfway decent you can use some of that. You could also bring some kind of audio recorder like a Zoom H4 that has a stereo pair of mics and mix that audio with the video.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Have a good video person come and shoot the band for a set and record the show. If you have a digital board it's a rather simple task. He can then mix the video and audio and you can have a montage video that anyone could view online.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  4. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    IMO Going out and sounding great and being a fun band is the most important thing you can do. Your phone will ring. Our promo is all facebook. We have some vids on our facebook page, recorded from a gig and just a basic camera. That was 3 or four years ago. Believe it or not we got a call (email actually) this year from an agency in New York who was setting up a party for a somewhat famous person in our area an needed a band. Our page sealed the deal, and its really nothing special.
    We book about 95% off our facebook page, and announce all our gigs. We keep ours low key. No bragging or gloating or show off stuff. More of a humble "thanks for making this possible for us" attitude.

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've found that this makes it so easy these days, particularly if all instruments are DI'd.
    Borrow or rent one if you don't have one, find a decent room to rehearse, put in a few coloured lights, mic up most of the drums and just record the audio of the rehearsal to the desk and use a few digicams or phones to video it all. You'll get better results if you import the audio into a DAW and do a bit of EQ. You can then combine the audio and video in a free or cheap video production program. Alternatively, do this at your first gig. You only need 20-30 secs of four or five songs so it doesn't matter if you make a mistake.

Bassed in NZ and SuperK like this.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You don't even need to record full songs. Potential clients want to get a feel of what the band is about - they want to see people having a good time (both band and audience) and get a taste of the variety they're going to get.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

One thing that hasn't come up, but just in case it does - the old hardcopy media kit is pretty much dead. No one wants a folder of papers and pictures and a CD dropped off at their bar, it just goes in the trash. A good website, songlist, videos of the band playing are key, along with social media. If the band is starting out you need some way to show people what you sound like; recording studio demos are good, but if you can get a video of a gig with good sound quality that can do the trick too.

For hardcopy, though, do print up a business card so you have a physical leave-behind when you talk to venues. Also, when you gig, a banner is a good thing, with the band name and addresses for a facebook page or website. I subbed a couple of times with a cover band that had a long convoluted name and no banner. A couple of times during a gig they would call out through a reverb-soaked mic, "We're _____ _______, like us on Facebook!" And of course nobody did and they couldn't figure out why they couldn't get more people to gigs. People need the name clear in front of them so they remember it.

8. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Man thats a classy act. Nice vid too.

MobileHolmes and Pacman like this.
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Thanks man!

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That was my gut feeling. Thanks

hrodbert696 likes this.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Probably the basics would start with some sort of glam shot where the band looks like a legit band. Then you should be able to fairly easily create flyers and announcements for your shows and stuff like that.

I wouldnt studio record the singer. I be like- "come up with some originals"

MobileHolmes likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021