1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cover Band Rig- Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThatLowEnd, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Hey TB,

After playing in original bands the last 15 years I have decided to get into a cover band. I am going to be buying a new rig and have narrowed it down to the brands, but I need some help deciding on the specific models.

What I currently own, and is way more weight than I would like to take around is:

EDEN WP100 pre
    QSC PLX1804 power
    SWR 2x12 (12 pack from 2001)
    SWR 4x12 (12 stack from 2001)

This rig is amazing, sounds awesome, but is just too much to schlep to the local bars, clubs, weddings, and corp events.

I know that I want one of the follow amps:

GB Shuttle 6.2
    GB Shuttle 9.2
    GB Shuttle 12.2

And also am set on getting either 1 or 2:

MY question is this, will the GB6.2 and 1 TB153 be enough power/volume for most situations or is it worth getting a 12.2 and two TB153's just in case? I would hate to get a 6.2 and one cab and then regret it. If I get the 12.2 and one can I can always add another cab down the road, please help- my brain is mush after trying to decide myself over the last week....:help:

Thanks!

2. If you get the TB 153 do not get the 4 Ohm version, get the 8 Ohm version equipped with the 3015LF. Any of the 900 watt Genz amps will drive it just fine.

3. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Thanks. I will order the cab the way that you have mentioned. Would a GB Shuttle 9.2 and a TB153 be enough for most sized venues?

4. Should be, if its not, you gain a lot more volume by adding a second matching cab than by drastically increasing your power.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Depends on what size venue, and if you have FOH support. I use my Genz STM-900 and one Epifani 15 without PA support, and it covers all the rooms I play. Now were not talking HUGE spaces here. probably an average bar, with about 20 or so tables at most.

6. No offense to your Epifani 15, but a 3015LF loaded cab it is not. That speaker moves a LOT of air.

7. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    My main gripe with the SWR cabs is that the Fuzz/OD's i use don't cut through enough. These cabs are 12" driver only, front ported cabs. Wonder if the TB153 will have more uper mid presence with the 3" driver and horn

8. If you wanted to keep the SWR 2 X 12, that would probably be gobs. It'd probably sound awesome with the GB 6.2.

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    None taken. My cab move a LOT of air too. :D

10. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Hmm, maybe the best result would be to keep my current rig, use the 2x12 for most gigs, and then the 4x12 or both for the occasional outdoor/festival gig. I am always trying to find reasons to buy new gear and usually take for granted the great gear I already own.

Also, I think that the Fuzz/OD issue may be able to be solved with EQ. Are 12's generally good speakers for drive effects? Does having a horn/smaller driver cut these effects through the mix?

11. OD/Fuzz are not very horn/tweeter friendly.

If you have one in your cab, turn it down when using your distortion.

12. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I bit the bullet and orderded a TB153 today. I went with the 8 ohm 3015lf. Should sound nice with my Eden wp100 pre and QSC PLX1804 power amps. Maybe a second cab will be on the near horizon.