1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cover: Jazz with P Pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JaySwear, Apr 17, 2010.

1. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    sorry if i posted this in the wrong section! my first thread here at talkbass.

i'll be assembling a bass this summer or afterwards. i've already got an allparts p-bass neck i really like, and the body will most likely be a warmoth. i've already assembled 2 warmoth guitars and i'm extremely happy with both.

anyway, my question. i like the PJ pickup combo, and love the jazz body. so a p-bass pickup in the jazz seems like the obvious choice. however, having a chrome pickup cover is really important to me. i know it's just a small addition that a lot of people leave off their basses, but it's half a thumb rest and half a tribute to my late uncle who really inspired me to pick up a bass in the first place. his rickenbacker 4003 really impacted me, and i've loved the classic chrome cover look ever since. nothing classier in my opinion!

ANYWAY here's a jazz body from warmoth with the p-bass routing. it's so close to the control plate that i'm not sure i could fit a cover on it at all. the jazz is the better option for me since i could have two volumes and one tone for two pickups, instead of the p-bass pickguard which would only have room for two pots and an output jack.

picture:
    [​IMG]

i'm worried that the p-bass cover would be too wide and would hit the control plate, and the jazz cover may be too narrow to cover the p-bass pickup. either way it'll be extremely close to the control plate.

thanks for any replies!

jazz
    FenderReplacementJBassPickupCoverChrome.

p-bass
    FenderPrecisionBassPickupCoverChrome.

2. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    here's my idea -

you could ditch the control plate and make a wooden one (or whatever material you want, i just love wood lol) and carve away the part of the control plate where the pup cover would overlap, so the base of the cover could sit flush with the control plate

know what i mean?

but the more i look at that body, it looks like the pup cover might actually hit the volume knob...

maybe you could get your warmoth body with ONLY the rout for the J bridge pup, and rout the spot for the P pickup yourself, just move it towards the neck a little so the Cover will clear the control plate

good luck :)

3. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    or if you wanted to be super classy you could get a piece of metal custom made into a 1 piece control plate/ pickup cover

lol

4. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    thank you, sir! i didn't even notice, but i think you are correct. that volume knob is definitely in the way with a cover. i've thought about maybe getting one of those all plastic pickguards for the jazz (no metal cover).

jbc_301t.

but as far as i can see they don't offer it with anything except a jazz pickup in the neck.

anyway, looks like i may go p-bass route and just have to try maybe a 3 way toggle and one master volume. strangely i'm not really a fan of one body style over the other, so i've really been going back and forth trying to figure out which is right for me.

5. donut

donut

Jan 27, 2004
    UK
    Why don't you do what Fender (and most others) do for their PJ basses and have the output jack on the side of the body?

6. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Yeah...that P route seems closer to the bridge than I've seen. Another idea is to go with stacked knobs, and a custom control plate to move the knobs back a bit. I'd go with the J cover too.

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    a hoppus pickguard might work...

8. It's actually in the traditional P bass location.
    You're probably used to seeing PJ Jazzes with the pickup moved up toward the neck.

9. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    funny that you posted. i was actually thinking about PMing you on unofficial warmoth about this, since i know your bass had the same pickup set up.

anyway thanks for the quick posts! i think the p-bass is looking like the best option, and maybe a jazz later on if i really get into playing bass. thanks again for all the help!

10. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    Since you're getting the body from Warmoth you could have them rear-route everything and just not put a pickguard or control plate on it. That could look really cool and original. Don't think I've ever seen a bass with no pickguard or control plate but with a chrome pickup cover. The other thing to consider is stacked knobs. It doesn't really matter how many holes you have to work with if you use stacked knobs.

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Oh...I know...I figured that...Just don't see it that way usually.

12. What about going with a P body and pickguard and using two stack pots V/T?

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    He said he loves the Jazz body.

14. sorrrry

15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Here's mine:
    100_0752.
    It's a Warmoth body as well, just has the P routing only. I have since changed the control plate to an early stacked knob Jazz plate (so I could have vol/tone only).

I realize that this doesn't help with your question, I'm just stoked to see another version of my bass.

Moonshine :bassist:

16. NoahKnapp

NoahKnapp

Jul 13, 2009
    What if you got it routed for a reverse P?

17. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Someone said it already, but what you need is a Mark Hoppus signature bass replacement pickguard. It's a 1 piece plastic pickguard that fits a jazz bass, but it's routed for a P pickup. The knobs are far enough away from the pickup to fit a chrome pickup cover in there.
    005-8719-000.
    The only problem you might have is that it looks like the Hoppus pickup is slightly closer to the neck than the warmoth, so you might have to enlarge the pickup route. You'll also need to add some extra holes for pots, but that's easy
    It is available from basspartsresource.com in white pearl, not sure if it comes in other colors from other distributors though.