Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cover of "Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, Apr 18, 2005.

1. As of now it's the only Jaco song that I know how to play all of. So this is my cover of "Portrat of Tracy". A brilliant song by the late great Jaco Pastorius, showcasing his extensive knowledge of harmonics. But I'm sure you all know that already.

I recorded this one with my Ken Lawrence bass using the passive mode, and single coil with the pickups to get more of a vintage J bass kinda sound. Straight through a DI with no effects or EQ.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=533228&T=7457

Let me know what you think and Enjoy :bassist:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, sounds pretty good, except, many of the notes felt weak like they might have been the right note but it felt like either it you were grabbing for something that you couldn't quite reach, or you just lacked conviction on them. a couple of the harmonics were off, and some of the rhythms were a little funky, but mostly it was good. I can dig it.

3. Thanks. I know what you mean. And for sure some of the harmonics weren't right. I basically learned it by ear and watching vids of Jaco.

4. vey nice.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds really good, Im still stuggling with this one. I know most of the song, but have a hard time playing it in time. If your interested at all, there is a tablature for it on the archive here thats very accurate, if you wanted to look and see anything you might have a little off and correct it.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Great job, it sound great!
    Like others said some of the harmonis are a bit off, but it's still 1000X better then me!!