1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cover Song Suggestions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ZmeBass76, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ZmeBass76

ZmeBass76 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Some friends and I are starting an acoustic instrumental side project, which will consist of two acoustic guitarists, me (the bassist, of course), a drummer, and a mandolin/banjo player. The mandolin/banjo dude will play vocal melodies on the mandolin or banjo. We plan on creating several full sets of different genres of music so we can play with virtually any band. Right now, we're concentrating on all-metal and all-country sets. I've been tasked to come up with two cover songs. Any suggestions?

2. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  3. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I come from an earlier generation and it was a crowd pleaser for us. But have recently seen the song done by an acoustic duo and it went over well. And heck.. A good song is a good song.... You Ain't Going Nowhere. Bob Dylan, Byrd's and many others. Just one of those timeless good tunes. And it's incredibly easy to learn

4. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Dueling banjos. Works for the country set, and you can hook up the distortion and put in a drum solo for the metal set.

Bodeanly, Jimmy4string and ZmeBass76 like this.
  6. tom_305

tom_305

Jul 25, 2015
    Slayer works out great in bluegrass/country. Start with Raining Blood. There are entire cover bands dedicated to doing metallica in this way. I'd imagine Iron Maiden's "run for the hills" would also be cool acoustic.

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm confused. You're forming a band so that you can play with other bands? What are these other bands and why would they want you to play with them? Shouldn't you just be contacting those bands for their set lists and learning that?

8. ZmeBass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I guess I'm confused as of to what you're confused about. We're forming a band that intends to learn different styles of music so that we can perform with any band of any genre. Is that what you misunderstood?

9. Add it Up -Violent Femmes
    ( Country death song may be too harsh) :)

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  10. hrodbert696

It just seems like a very unusual model for a project. I've seen bands appear as guests on stage with other bands, usually just for a song or two. I've seen headliner acts on tour invite their opening act back on to play a couple songs with them. But those openers had a set of their own that they played. I've never heard of someone forming a band with the express purpose of that band being to piggyback as guests on other people's gigs. Is there demand for that in your market?

11. ZmeBass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    It's a very common thing for bands to share the stage with other bands. We can open for someone, or headline a show and have another band open for us. I don't understand what's so uncommon about that. It seems as if you're still not understanding. This is a side project. We all have main projects. This band will play 8 to 10 song sets, opening for other bands of any genre, or we can headline a show and have a band or two open for us. Make sense now?

12. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Seems like an interesting idea.
    I'm all for anything that increases your musical knowledge and broadens your horizons, and helps network with other bands/musicians.
    Best of luck!

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  13. ZmeBass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    We're coming up with our own cover songs, to play our own set. We won't piggyback as guests, or whatever it is you got outta what I said. Lol. I just meant that we can play shows with other bands of any genre. We can even do our own single-band show if we came up with enough material.

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Come up with a night's worth of material. It isn't that tough.

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  15. Play "WITH" other bands.
    I think that means "A SUPPORT BAND".
    That wasn't hard to work out. :banghead:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    ZmeBass76 and hrodbert696 like this.
  16. I'd love to see this live....
    AC/DC's Thunderstruck.

17. hrodbert696

Oh, OK. You mean "appear in a multi-band show with..." or "open for..." bands of whatever genre. When you posted "play with" it sounded to me like you meant "sit in with." That was what seemed odd to me, a project designed for purposes of sitting in with other bands. @Groove Doctor was quicker than me on the uptake, obviously. Sorry.

18. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @hrodbert696 , that's what I took from the original post too.
    I'd even had my daily coffee shot, so I've no excuse...:D

Bodeanly and hrodbert696 like this.
  19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Me too.

And... me too.

hrodbert696 and Oddly like this.
  20. ZmeBass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    No problem. I don't word things very well sometimes. Lol.

Groove Doctor and hrodbert696 like this.