Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cover songs that went over better or worse than expected.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mike N, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'm sure it's happened to everyone at least once. You learn some new tunes that you think will be a hit with the crowd, but to your surprise when you're done playing them you can hear the crickets chirping. The song was a flop. Not that the band played it badly, just the crowd didn't react to it the way you anticipated.

On the other hand, the songs you really don't think will be a hit get a great reaction from the crowd.

Our song that was a flop was "Crawling" by Hoobastank, and the hit was "Voodoo" by Godsmack.

Anyone else want to share their hits and flops?
    If nothing else, this thread may help us cover bands get some ideas for new material that seems to work well for others.

2. don't really do covers, but occasionally when the guitarist breaks a string the drummer and i jam on "i want you back" by the jackson 5 or "the national anthem" by radiohead, both of which people seem to love.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Slightly off topic but: Many moons ago I was at a sweet sixteen where we were told to bring along our own music if there was something we wanted them to play. They were playing tons of disco, everyone was having a grand ol dancing time, and I was sure if they got to hear "2000 Light Years From Home" off of The Stone's Satanic Majesties Request, that they'd go bonkers and love it. Lets just say I was very wrong. I must have been on drugs. Oh. I was.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    :rollno:
    I find that people who absolutely love disco... like nothing else.
    (Stones rule!)

5. My band played Weezer's "Say It Ain't So" At a halloween gig and it didn't turn out to well,the band had it tight and all just didn't go well with the rest of our set.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I love the bass in that song. :drools:

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Our band played 'Toxic' by Britney Spears! I would say yeah, the crickets were chirping mightily on that one. We play it pretty good too but folks just ain't diggin' it. It's not a bad song, really! I guess it's just because Britney is singing it. I would have liked to hear Cathy Dennis [the songwriter and writer of 'Touch Me [All Nite Long]] perform it herself but that's another subject.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We played a private party for a 50th birthday party, and there were lots of teenage kids there, too. So we come up to play "You Ought To Know" by Alanis Morrisette, with all the kids and their parents on the dance floor, and I'm thinking, "Oh, all this theater stuff and thinking of me stuff, the folks are going to love this." So we start playing the song, and all the teenagers were singing it along with us at the top of their lungs. Big hit, and no sass from the old folks.

On the other hand, my brother does the country hit "Trashy Women" and we played that at our last wedding reception. Maybe our last wedding reception, eh? Not among the faves of the guests. But the groom was a cowboy, so what the heck?

9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    My band's only cover that we (sometimes) do at shows is "Stone Cold Bush" by the Chili Peppers and people go nuts for it!

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Word Up by Cameo. Sometimes it takes a bit of work convincing the rest of the band to put it on the setlist but I don't know why - every time we stick it in, the audience go wild for the "W O R D up!" participation section.

Wulf

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Done that one a few times and its always gone over well for us. Different crowd I suppose.

A few suprising ones were some Glassjaw songs we played. We played all of or parts of all of these mixed into our set inbetween little breaks in the music: Piano, Pretty Lush, Siberian Kiss, Hotel of the White Locust, Mu Empire

I expected a lukewarm-dissapointed crowd since there were a lot of hardcore Glassjaw fans out there, but aparently we did the songs justice because its started with Piano and Pretty Lush and they kept requesting we do it again at each show. We mixed in a bit of the rest as time went on.

The biggest shocker was that in a band I was in before that everyone loved our version of Baby got Back. We made it to the top of the MP3.com charts with that song. The crowd always chanted it at each show and we played it even though we were pretty sick of it. This recording is from before I joined the band, but its amusing.

http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp..._Method_-_Baby_Got_Back_Sir_Mixalot_Cover.mp3

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Paul Revere, Billy Jean, Seven Nations Army, and that song by Franz Ferdinand, drives 'em nuts EVERYTIME! Go fig. BTW, we do all of these in our current set, however, 3 of them are part of a medley. My friend Anthony David, who's an R&B artist, threw Level 42's "Something About You" in his set, and the people ate it up! Who knew?!

13. Mine are two Beatles songs.

First is "8 Days a Week" (one of the very few songs that I sing) which always fills the dance floor. It's quite surprising to me, since it's not one of their most popular songs...

Second one is "Come Together", which has limited success with the dancers. Some stoners seem to dig it, though.

14. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    'Better man' by Pearl Jam. I saw that live at Pinkpop and it totally blew me away. The album version is nowhere near it. I begged the guys from my band to do that song (they only heard the album version) and whaddayaknow? Dancing people!

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A surprise hit was a version of Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf" recast as a Memphis soul tune complete with the horn section blasting out the riff.

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    We did a cover of Electric 6's "Gay Bar," only without guitar, so it was just bass and drums. It went over surprisingly well.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

God Save The Queen in a Deadhead band. We had to eventually stop doing that one, too many tripping hippies moshing. :eyebrow:

18. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    In an eighties band we did a flawless version of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and you could hear the crickets for miles, but when we did Motley Crue's version of "Smokin in the Boy's Room" they went crazy. ugh.

19. My band does Gay Bar as well, but with 2 guitars...all punked out with English accents. Dirtydirty punk, and we play it at nice clubs. Always gets the crowd going.

"I've got something to put in you...at the Gay Bar." - classic.

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    We did it without the guitar because Chris' amp died or something. I can't remember, exactly, but it was some sort of technical problem. It still sounded good, though.