Covering Chevelle, Deftones, Godsmack etc.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    So when you guys cover songs by bands that change their tunings a lot, such as 1/2 step flat+ drop D or whole step flat etc, Do you cover them in the same tunings or just stick to drop D or what?

I have a Boss TU2 and it seems like it's going to be a huge pain to drop 1/2 step down and then drop the top string down again and then tune back to normal.

We are adding "The Red" and " Letters From a Thief" by Chevelle and "Bored" and "My Own Summer" by Deftones to our set-list and I was curious how you guys would handle the tunings.

Thanks.

2. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    work with the singer and find a key that suits his voice, while also keeping the original faithful. then play all the songs in the tuning, incorporate a hipshot, or second bass possibly a five string.

eg, tuning down a half step for all songs, and occasionally dropping the bottom string will help your singer reach higher notes and you wont be tuned so low that the song sounds wierd.

i know deftones use half step down with the occasional dropped bottom, but i dont know what tuning chevelle use (i think its B?)

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I thought about just doing everything a 1/2 step down.

I also have quite a few basses, (including a sixer) so I could do that too. I guess I've just gotten attached to my main bass.

Thanks for the reply. :)

4. Chevelle changes its tunings quit a bit. I have a set list from the latest tour and they have the tuning next to the song. They range from D to A#.

We play The Red in our set,but we play it in standard tuning. It works, but it doesn't sound as heavy as the original recording.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I was thinking of maybe tuning my 6 string like this. First off, a 1/2 step flat, then tune the B string to C and go back and forth between E flat and D flat on the E string. Any thoughts?

6. Podgorny

Podgorny

May 1, 2009
    Nashville, TN

You'll need to do your homework. Some songs will base their riff around open strings in a particular tuning. Others will play fine in standard - perhaps not as easily as in its intended tuning, but not too difficult.

And of course, there's your singer's range to consider.

And just fyi Letter From a Thief would be in Drop B.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021