1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Covering classical music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I've been learning to play Fur Elise and for fun have been playing the intro with some octave up, a little distortion and some delay and messing around with the rythm a little.

Its sounding quite nice, and very true to the tune that inspired it of course.

My partner suggested I record it and put it on Myspace to help with promotion, but I'm not sure if thats legal to do so without permission.

Then I wondered, who would I get permission from if the artists aren't around to represent themselves? I presumed a label, but these classics have been distributed so much by so many its hard to know where to start...

Could someone give me a gentle nudge? Thanks.

2. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    After a composer is deceased for 50 years, the music goes to public (too early in the morning to remember the technical term) and anybody can use it. There's a website somewhere around that keeps a running list of which composers come up with each new year. :)

3. djaydjay

djaydjay

Mar 14, 2010
    Like it has been said, a few year after the composers death the "protection" is over (although it is 70 years in Switzerland).
    This is for the "composition".

You'd need the label if you were about to use a recent recording, because the artists contributing on those are protect too (I believe these rights are called "neighboring rights"). Since you're doing your own recordings, there is no need to worry about that.

4. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    I confirm, after 70 years from composer death or the person who detain the copyright of the music, it become public domain.
    Cheers.
    Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite

5. Cheers guys!