covering on cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robot-trashcan, May 6, 2001.

1. Does anybody know if its possible to re-cover a bass cabinet with new covering (carpeting)?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes it is. Me and the guitarist in our band just finished re-covering his 4x12 Carvin cab with new carpet. It takes a little while, but if you take the time to do it right, it is worth it. (his cats got to his cab and ripped up a whole side of the covering.)

We removed all the hardware first, then peeled off the covering. We payed attention to where the seems were at, so when we started putting the new stuff on, we had the seams hidden in the same places as the original stuff. We used 3M spray adhesive to attach the new stuff. (he bought a roll of Peavey carpet, in case you are wondering)

It took us a few hours to do, but in the end, it looked like a brand new cabinet.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll second that. Get the stronger of the two 3M spray adhesive products ... I think it's called 911 or something. It's only ELEVEN BUCKS A CAN! My brother and I built the Black Fuzzy Thing and some other stuff, and we covered it with the BFS. You can get it at Home Depot. I'd suggest using the old stuff as a template for the new.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    now...I know what you mean by carpet..but wouldn't it be funny to see you're (Insert Cab here) covered in a nice Shag carpet? A nice lush carpet! That brings a smile to my face!:D see!?

Actually, one of the guys in my music class just recarpeted the schools bass amp. He did a good job. I think that recarpeting every so often (like years) would do the cabinet definite asthetic favors. Only Downside is: If your head is carpeted, finding a matching color carpet is a bugger...
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    What about Kustoms? Anybody know a good
    tuck-n-roll shop in T.J. ? :p
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've seen it -- back in the late 70s on a homemade cab (two 15s and a horn, I think). Big, thick, green shag carpet.

And it WAS funny.