Covering the guitar chair...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexclaber, Apr 23, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The challenge is getting that big rock sound without having a guitarist in the band, and possibly opening up soloing possibilities by pitchshifting up.

The options:

1. Bass played an octave up into Big Muff to get 'guitar' sound and then into Deep Impact to synthesise bass sound an octave down, using the Deep Impact's wet/dry mix to balance the two sounds.
    (already have all gear to do this)

2. Bass played normally into Boss PS-5 or Digitech Whammy, wet send going to separate BE5-B multi-FX for distortion etc, dry send going into bass amp, output from BE5-B mixed into FX loop on SWR GP. (need to buy PS-5 or Whammy to do this)

3. Bass played normally into Unibass, possibly send wet into BE5-B and then fx loop of SWR, or just use Unibass for distortion and mixing.
    (need to buy Unibass to do this)

Pick any one! (Or suggest another)

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Get yerself an 8-string, or any doubled number you want (I'm getting a 10). Every fretted note will produce a bass note and one an octave higher. If you want the "guitar" distorted, but not the regular bass notes, you could get stereo jacks, or just an A/B box and run one side through distortion, then use another A/B box to splice them back up.

I've never played a Unibass, but it would probably be better than using the Deep Impact. I don't personally like low-octave pedals, or, at least, I've never heard one I liked. It's easier to make a bass shift up and sound like a guitar than to make a guitar shift down and sound like a bass.

Whammy pedals are a lot of fun.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Akai UB-1 Unibass all the way.
    That's exactly what it's for.
    For a great effect, send the UB-1 signal to a small tube guitar combo.
    As you're looking for this type of sound, you really should look into Clatter.
    1 bassist/singer, 1 drummer. That's it.
    Awesome band.
  4. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    The Roland V-Bass has several preset options for sounding like a rock guitar. When the guitar player
    is not there, I'll often play something low into a my looper, then flip on the heavy guitar mix of the V-bass.
    It definitely helps to fill out the sound.

It's a pretty expensive option though...........
  5. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    The old Digitech Bass Whammy and the Boss ODB-2,live at loud volume,fantastic behind solo's or for doubling.
  6. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    You beat me to it Jazz Ad.
  7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    or lighning bolt, or spinoza, or beef termanal, or any bill laswell... Who needs geeeetarts?.. Bass all the way.... no need to emulate, we are all you need...

8. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Looks like I'm leaning towards getting the Unibass...

9. Consider that UniBass as a 1 box solution. I just got a UniBass today and am seeing a lot of possibilities for doubling and pitch shifting up an octave. This is the 1st unit that tracks fast and accurately and the octave is the closest to being in tune I've ever heard. The distortion and tone controls allow a broad range from jazzy to blast. I am planning to try it in several settings from piano jazz trio to power rock/blues trio.
  10. Once i started utilising my Akai Headrush for both bass and "guitar" backing tracks our poor old 6-stringer sorta became redundant. Pairing down to a trio (bass-keys-skins) really helped to clean up our sound. The trick I'd say is to EQ or filter the two signals so that they don't occupy the same sonic space. The eight trax at my weblink contain many examples of this, all looped live from the floor. I use my Mutron III set on HP mode for a filtered guitar-style tone.
  11. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    If you don't have a guitar combo to put the effected output of the Unibass through try a GT-2 - i've had fantastic results using a sansamp GT2 straight into a mixer.
  12. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I haven't got a guitar amp to use for that, but I do have a rather handy old multi-fx which has a 10-band analogue EQ so I can shape the frequency response to be more guitar like by cutting the highs and lows, plus it has a blendable distortion, enhancer (add some sparkle to the clean pitchshift?) and a digital delay/chorus/flange. If the output of this Boss BE5-B is high enough I should be able to plug it into the FX return of the parallel FX loop on my SWR Grand Prix and mix it in with the straight bass signal before it goes to my poweramp/PA send.