Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Covering U2

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nails, May 19, 2002.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    This is not one of the forums I frequent, so please forgive me if this is not in the right place. Anyway, on to the reason for the post.

A few weeks back I heard a cover of the U2 song "One" on the radio. The lead vocalist was Micheal Stipe of R.E.M., after the song the d.j. said the artist name and album the song was on, but I have since forgotten the name and album title, and I'm not sure about what radio station I was listening to. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this and knew the album it's on and the band's name (the d.j. also said the band featured members of U2, but not which members.)

If it helps any I think it was done for a charity/benefit of some sort, and I think it's actually a live recording but can't recall.

I've searched a few sites and can't find any info (naturally, if I could find what I wanted why would post this?) Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They called themselves Automatic Baby. The group consisted of Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of REM and Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton of U2. This was recorded during a concert to celebrate Bill Clinton's inaugeration in 1993 I think. It has appeared on a variety of benefit discs. Your best bet though is probably just to download it.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Thanks Dan, I couldn't find it for the life of me.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

All Music Guide shows the song "One" as written by Bono and U Two (AMG's Spelling) appears on six different albums.

Go to:

http://www.allmusicguide.com

Under Search, click on the circle that says "songs", then type in One. 365 songs named "One" will come up, but scroll down until you come to Bono/U Two. The six albums where it has appeared are named there.

All Music Guide is my first source for checking recorded music information. If they don't have the answer, often TalkBass members do. It is an amazing bunch of folks here.

By the way, Warren Haynes is a heck of a guitarist. I bet he plays "One" with great feeling. I just saw that he is back touring with the Allman Brothers again. I hope I can catch the tour at one of their stops.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A couple other One covers:

Johnny Cash
    Jeff Martin of the Tea Party
    Robbie Williams :rolleyes:
    Craig David