Covering up dings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eunwhan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. eunwhan

Dec 30, 2002
    Ugh. I'm so sorry for making so many new threads today. I would've put all my questions into one thread had they all come to me at once. I swear this'll be my last thread for today. -_-

Anyways, on the side of my bass near the bottom, I noticed quite a few notches and dents in the finish and I have no idea how they got there. How do I go about fixing those, or making them less visible?
  2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    two words Duct Tape!
  3. eunwhan

Dec 30, 2002
    What about duct tape?
  4. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    nothin really. it was just suppost to be a lame joke. sorry:p
  5. Just leave em, they give it character! ;) You'll probably end up getting dings on it accidentally anyway and they don't hurt the tone at all. So no worries.
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    On dents and scratches, you could perhaps use nail polish or pen or something to paint the wood to similar color.

If there are sort of white scratches eg. they are in the laquer and not in the wood, you can use strong cleaning liquid - one of which is sold here as "Vim" on household section at supermarkets, it's thick, white liquid in large plastic bottles.

But how about screwholes? I removed the pickguard of my black Kingston and I like how it looks, but the screwholes stand out. Perhaps some miniature paint?
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    To remove dings and dents I use and old poolplayers trick. Place the offended part over the stream of steam that comes from a boiling tea kettle for 30 to 60 seconds. You might have to go longer. This will cause the wood to swell up. Be careful, that steam will burn you. For chips in the paint, go to your local automotive paint store and get matching touch up paint. It comes in many shades of colors. Use a small fine hair paint brush and many thin coats (let dry between coats) until its built up to the level of the rest of the finish.