Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Covers Audiences Love

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Finger Blister, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    From your personal experience,
    what songs keep the Club jumpin'?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Kiss (prince's version)

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    jungle boogie
    brick house
    i wanna take you higher/ sly
    super freak

:bassist: jammin yo, to the max yo, ...

:cool:

4. we do an instrumental version of "Jungle Boogie" which sometimes segues into "Chameleon" that the crowds dig. our version of "Funky Stuff" ususally rates a few screams. we'll sometimes bust out "Flash Light" or some funkified versions of Hendrix' Band of Gypsies material and that has been known to get up out of their seats.

from the lows,

Stew

5. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Believe it or not, "Mustang Sally" is still a very popular cover (my band only puts it in the set if we're doing a big gig or function).

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    - Monkey Man (but invent a better bass line)
    - Superstition (50% Jeff Beck, 50% S. Wonder)
    - We have a good slide player, so Boot Hill or Dust My Broom kicks.

- And 'fess up, we've all been tired of it since high school, but Johnny B. Goode always goes over well.

7. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hiya,
    Johnny B. Goode....tired of it? I'm sick of it!

I don't care if I ever play that number ever again in my entire life - OK, it's a 50's classic but I had 15 years of playing it on gigs.....

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I really hope to never hear that song again. I know I will though.

9. Yeah, I'm with you. The thing I hate most about that song is that it does typically get a good reaction. If you're in a band that decides to cover that song, you're probably doomed to play it as long as the band's together.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    ^&*!in' Mustang Sally - It was old and tired when I was young, and it has just gotten older since.
    @#$%in' Sweet Home Alabama - Doesn't matter what town you're in, people still request this song.
    @#$%in' Old Time Rock n Roll - So should I dance in my underwear like Tom Cruise too?
    #$%!in' Freebird - I'll flip you a Free Bird:spit:
    @$%^!in' Country Roads - This song should have crashed with John Denver.
    &*#%!in' I Saw Her Standing There/Twist and Shout - Out of all the cool Beatles tunes, why this one?
    &*$%@!in' Brown Eyed Girl - :oops: Wake me up when it's over.

If you do weddings:
    The !#$%!in Hokey Pokey - Thank The Lord that CDs can be played over the PA.

If you do A Capella:
    @#$%!in' Lion Sleeps Tonight - Is this the only A Capella tune that people know? Why does it have to be a dumb one?

If you do Country:
    !#$%@in' Crazy - The most played tune on the Jukebox ever. Let's keep it to the Jukebox.

If you do Metal:
    There's always someone who yells out "Slayer!"

There's more that should be on this list, but that's all for now.

11. man, you have not heard "Freebird" until you have heard Trip Wamsley do it as a solo piece. I have rarely laughed so hard in my life as I did that night!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I guess that's the problem - most of the people you play for are not musicians. Nothing sucks more than putting time into a tune when the crowd wants to hear the same stuff.

A couple of years ago a band I was in played the medley from Abbey Road side 2 - took time to get note for note exact, including all vocal harmonies. Part of the crowd dug it (Beatle fans everywhere thank god) - the rest - I wanted to kill.

And to Jive1 - what about Stones - how played out is Jumpin' Jack Flash/Honky Tonk Woman?

13. [voice of guy who's had a few too many beers] PLAY SOME SKYNYRD!!!!!!!!! [/voice]

Some guy actually felt the need to wildly signal me over to the side of the stage in the middle of a song to scream a request for "Sweet Home Alabama" in my ear. Come on, what happened to just heckling BETWEEN songs!? :spit:

14. Carrie Melbourne's version of "Ace of Spades".

WUNDERBAR!!!

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My last band seemed to consistantly get the best responses from Barracuda and Where the Streets Have No Name.

16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    NO MUSTANG SALLY!

17. LOL

:D :D :D

from the lows,

Stew

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If you are being paid by the clubs you play, you are being to entertain the patrons, not to entertain yourselves, and too few bands IMO take this into consideration when writing their set lists. I guess I am luck, because if the crowd response is good, and the energy is there from them, I can have fun playing anything!

I HATE brown eyed girl!!!!!!

But we have never once had anything but a great response from it. It's a guaranteed winner, and I have fun playing it.

19. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Tim's got it pegged. This is also why it is so hard to find gigs for originals.

Right now my playing stuff we like - blues. Not much call for this in clubs where we are, but at this point I'd rather play what I want, and play out less. To each his own ...

:bassist:

20. I too agree with Mr. Cole - but I'd be interested in a list of Covers that both the crowd responses well to AND that bass players actually LIKE playing.