1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Covers for primarily Bass / Vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by atticpenny, May 30, 2012.

1. atticpenny

atticpenny

Jan 5, 2011
    Virginia
    Tried doing some searches, but got lots of results about covers in general, but not much about covers that are primarily bass and vocals, where the focus of the instrumentation is the bass line and vocals.

For example, I'm looking for ideas for covers in the vein of Peggy Lee's version of "Fever." The focus of the song is the bass line (it can easily be performed with or without any other instruments). It can be any music style, or even something you've done your own arrangement of with primarily bass/vocals and not much else.

Seriously, why should acoustic guitar players have all the fun at open mic nights? :bassist:

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Hmmmm. I can't think of many like that. I was going to say Dance With Me which is heavy on bass and vocals, but still requires other instruments.
    A looper would open more options. A 5 or 6 string bass would also.

Ahhh...here's one: Twisted by Joni Mitchell.

Also, most Beatle songs have such strong melody you can do them instrumentally on bass. Mix in chords with melody. There are some elaborate examples on youtube.

3. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "Some Kind Of Wonderful" (Grand Funk Railroad version) comes to mind...

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    My Love Is ---- Diana Krall version, similar to fever

Fire ----Springsteen, forget who did the definitive vers. also similar vein[i guess they're all call and response based]

5. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    hmm...open mic with bass guitar-cool idea. I'd look into John and George -penned Beatle tunes (those seem to have more of the 'signature' bass lines than Paul's own tunes). . Police-Walking on the Moon, any other Police tunes?
    London Calling-The Clash;
    Elvis Costello-Beyond Belief (simple bass but so effective; hard to sing though...); try his other tunes too.
    The Jam-Start! (if you dont want to do Tax Man but still want to do that riff..)
    Joe Jackson (Is she going out with him and many more)

6. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    "King Of The Road" Roger Miller

7. Silly Love Songs -- Paul McCartney

8. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    MXPX - Chick Magnet is pretty much bass and vocals.

There's a guitar strumming chords and a simple drum beat behind it all, though. Not sure how much you want to be "strictly bass". Pretty fun song, too.

9. atticpenny

atticpenny

Jan 5, 2011
    Virginia
    Great list so far. can't wait to listen to them all.
    Thought of another one this morning:

Norah Jones' version of "Cold Cold Heart."

The bass really drives it forward. piano fills in the space. could probably work as just bass/vocals.

10. atticpenny

atticpenny

Jan 5, 2011
    Virginia

Oh, it doesn't have to be strictly bass, just songs that might work well as just bass/vocals, but with the possible option of having other musicians sit in and add to the song (kind of like what acoustic guitar players do at open mic nights).

My wife and I perform "Fever" a lot together, and I am looking for other songs to do where I don't have to pick up a guitar. I'd much rather play bass.

11. Uhh...Don't Forget Me by RHCP comes to mind

12. I started out performing at open mics by playing and singing "Boris the Spider". I've done "Whiskey Man" with much less success. Both of these are by John Entwistle. I've also performed a version of "My Generation" that I re-wrote to be from the view of a retired old fart. My version of the Captain Beefheart classic, "The Old Fart at Play" either has gone over well or the audiences have been very kind. I've also done "Amazing Grace" where I play the traditional melody and sing it to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun", "On Broadway" where I mdoulate a half step each verse, and a version of "Hit the Road, Jack". Only another bass player named Jack could imitate my version of that last one.

Hey, to quote a famous non-bass player (Liberace) "I may not be good, but I got guts!"