coversion to headless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fivesevenoh, Nov 27, 2003.

1. how do I go about converting my 4 string fender squire bass into a headless bass?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I strongly advise against it, the effort is too great, especially for such a cheap bass, and the result is likely to be disappointing.
  3. yeh, i bought it off my friend for 40 bucks, coz I need a backup bass in case i ever break mine at a show.

i just always wanted a headless bass. so i thought since this one was cheap, maybe i could mess around with it. but if its too much effort and is gonna sound even worse than it already does, screw it. lol
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A: extend the body to accomodate the tuner, below the bridge.
    B: cut the head off - at the proper place!
    C: install a clamp or something for the strings at the end of the neck.

I will never(!) attempt such an endeavour.
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX sells hardware packages for headless basses. They include a bridge with tuners and the string retainer for the top of the neck. Made by ABM, which is good stuff.

I built a headless bass using a Steinberger bridge, and I fabricated my own clamp-style string retainer out of titanium plate. It turned out very nice. But it does take a bit of nerve to saw the head off of your neck......especially when the neck you are using is a $360 Warmoth 5 piece maple/bubinga with 2 truss rods.