Covid question regarding upcoming gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bulky Bass, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Long story short, band has been trying to get a gig at a very popular venue for months. We finally get an email last week from the venue asking if we want to open for a national touring act this weekend and of course we are overjoyed.

Two days ago, one of the band members tells us he’s not feeling well but tested negative. Today he tests again and it’s positive but he’s feeling much better than he did two days ago. He did email the venue and let them know the situation but they haven’t responded. We have no way of getting a replacement for him or another band for that matter in such a short time.

This is is my first time dealing with this. Based on people’s experience, do you think the venue will understand or basically never ask us to play there again? And do you think letting them know was the right thing or should we have waited for a third test?

Thanks for reading. I’m ultra bummed right now and not sure what to do.

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    While I've no idea how things are currently in your area as regards covid restrictions or numbers, I'd like to think the venue appreciates your honesty and concern in safeguarding it's patrons.
    They're probably scrambling to find a replacement support ... in fact to me it reads your band was already a replacement, given the short notice.
    Hoping you get another call soon.

31HZ, dickfitts, ebo and 6 others like this.
  3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Does the bandmember sing? If not, have them mask up and keep away from the crowd (and anyone in the band that's uncomfortable). But it's better to be honest about stuff like this. Nobody wants to have to cancel a gig, but it's better to lose a gig than to risk infecting an entire club (and all of their families).

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think I would try to go this route. I'm both vaccinated and boostered so I'm not one of those who poo-poos the risks of Covid, but if he's masked up I believe the risk is confined to your band.

If he's a singer, all bets are off - he's out. I would not want him to play if he has to sing.

And BTW, latest info I have read is that he's capable of spreading it for some days after he feels recovered.

brumebat and bassbrad like this.
  5. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Thank you for all your responses. Unfortunately he tested positive again last night. Club responded and we are working with them to get another band through social media posts. We have another big show in 8 days, keeping fingers crossed he will be better.

31HZ, dickfitts, Tom Bomb and 10 others like this.
  6. I tested positive for 10 days straight and get this, I had a fever for only the 1st two days.

7. H K

H K Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2021
    We have some pretty strict rules in my country, but now it's all like "if you are positive but have no symptoms dont worry about it". So I'd say to play, but have him masked with a proper filter mask, and its all good.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    We're at a crossroads with this stuff. In the beginning, people who didn't want to mask said things like "it's just like the flu", and were decried for that stance. However, at least in my state, if you look up the number of deaths we get yearly from flu, and the daily rate of covid deaths, they are now actually equal (they weren't at all before).

The whole point of vaccines was to get us back to normal, and scientifically, we're there, but... a lot of people (who were quoting Science before) aren't comfortable with things - you're gonna have policies that don't make sense, borne out of an abundance of caution. It's just gonna be awkward for a while in some circumstances.

lucas303 likes this.
  9. RustfeatherBass

RustfeatherBass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    we just cancelled tonight’s gig, which was a really good one, due to a bandmate having the ‘vid. It was a really tough choice.

10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    No, we are not back to "normal" and comparing flu numbers to Covid numbers is still meaningless.

cousinelmer, 31HZ, MCbizz and 10 others like this.
  11. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I assume you meant to compare yearly-to-yearly or daily-to-daily!

There are still a lot of unknowns. I'm personally back to doing most of the things I did before, but with more masks and testing.

The best thing to do here may be just to point to CDC recommendations, which are still to isolate after a positive test: Isolation.

31HZ, dickfitts, brumebat and 2 others like this.
  12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Even if the band member masks up, continuing with a gig when you know a band member is ill and could simply be not present or not be at their best seems risky. And with COVID you can feel rough, test negative then feel fine, but test positive, and then the next day be absolutely out of it. I am like that just with a cold.

Ostie likes this.
  13. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Very true we're not back to normal but it's not meaningless to compare the two. Because that's the only barometer most people can relate to. We've all lived with flu for a long time and decide individually for example whether to get vac each fall. We need to be able to compare it to SOMETHING familiar in order to make that personal evaluation, "What risk am I possibly subject to and what might I do about it?"

Dust2Dust and db59 like this.
  14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Indicated
    We have a certain percentage of flu cases yearly, and of those cases, we have a certain percentage of deaths. Tossing Covid cases on top of those flu cases would double those deaths if all other things are equal, and they aren't, because there is much more Covid than there is flu.

We're not anywhere near "normal" from that standpoint, and likely never will be. This is our new normal.

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    If it is not too late, the ideal situation is to call the venue and offer another band to fill in. We had to cancel last year's New Year's gig because the BL got sick three days before. Before she called the venue, she found another band to fill in for us. Venue really appreciated that, and we've got a bunch of gigs coming up at their place later this summer. Also NYE for the coming year. Not disclosing a communicable illness to a venue--now that would not go over well.

I should add that everybody in my band contracted COVID at a gig a few months ago. For what it's worth, restaurant workers are the most vulnerable class of workers in the US. And that's what we are.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    fdeck, -Asdfgh- and TyBo like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you’re traveling a mile a minute, it’s also 60 mikes an hour. The math to compare daily rates to yearly rates is just as straightforward.

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The 1918 flu, which killed in much higher percentages, is still with us - it’s a big part of the flu numbers, but it has decreased in it’s deadliness - it’s endemic, not pandemic at this point. If you’ve ever had an H1N1, or any of the H/N variants, you’ve had a variant of the 1918 flu.

Covid is evolving along the same general path - the Science for all of this is well known. Yes, we will be talking about Covid long term, but this isn’t all that new - we have been “here” for the last 104 years. There were also flu pandemics before that.

timmo97 and yodedude2 like this.
  18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Indicated
    Yes, all that is true. But to stay on point, our normal, in terms of deaths, is not what it was pre-Covid and probably never will be. We now have Covid deaths on top of the flu deaths. More deaths.

This is a topic more suited to the Covid thread, where we've been discussing the move from pandemic to endemic now for a little while.

19. Your colleague needs to check with a Doctor, to understand his situation. Was it a PCR or antigen test result? PCR will give you more time-accurate results than antigen -which may detect COVID strains you had a month ago-. General CDC rule for transmission is from two days prior to feeling ill until five days after. To make sure you prevent transmission, follow the CDC isolation rules, posted by "bfields" above.

Ostie likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There is a point where determining the magnitude becomes difficult. In my state, one in 30 deaths is someone who has Covid. If one in 30 people has Covid at any time, then by and large people are dying while they have Covid, not as a result of it. People generally don’t understand the details of this kind of stuff - they see numbers, and don’t fully comprehend what they do and don’t mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.