Cowbell Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So does anyone have any idea how I could make a digital cowbell pedal? Every note you play would sound like a different pitch of a cowbell. Me and my crazzy-ass co-worker were toying with this idea.
  2. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    My advice? Go analog.

20 drum pedals on the stage, each one attached to a different size of cowbell...

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    A cowbell effect would be badass--no idea how you'd start making one though. Some pretty heavy synth would prolly have to be involved... Making it a filter would be sweet though, make a difference how hard you hit the "cowbell" :)

4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I was thinking about hooking up a cowbell to my pedalboard. A real cowbell.

AWWWWWW YEAHHHHHH that would be awesome.

So this really isn't feasible is it?
  5. PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Just take a bassdrum pedal (or doublebass hehe), put a stick or metal thing instead of the padded beater and put it infron of a cowbell.
  6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    It would be quicker and easier to do the bass drum pedal thing and then mic your cowbell. And, it'd look bada$$ on your pedalboard.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, I already knew that, but having a pedal would be sweet too.

Yeah, I think I might need to buy one from my store.
  8. "Trust me your gonna want more cowbell" Christopher Watkins when he hosted and SNL episode.
  9. you need the digital modelling cowbell from Rad Monkey. Sadly, the website doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore!
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I was trying to find that Rad Monkey site... Anyone curious can Google "digital cowbell" and get a ton of blogs laughing about the digital cowbell.

Another option (seriously) would be the Boss sample trigger pads from the 80's. One of them had a pretty good cowbell sound, and it could be triggered by any sort of voltage spike to the trigger jack, so you could theoretically trigger it from the sidechain of a gate on your bass signal. You would annoy the bejeezus out of all your friends and bandmates, but it would work.

Or of course a MIDI pickup on your bass. That would suck the worst, but it would bring your dream of chromatic cowbell notes to reality.
  11. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm not sure I've understood what a cowbell is (in my lenguage).
    If you mean, for example, the sounds in the beginning of Radiohead's Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box, I made it with my bass and the whammy: cutted all the bass on my on-board preamp (which is an Aguilar OBP-1 boost only, it means I left them FLAT), boosted al the treble, panpotted on the bridge pickup only and played harmonics with a pick with the whammy setted on 4th down.
  12. well once you get that sampler, you can sample the cowbell on that...on my old RC20, they have a one-shot feature that plays the loop once, when you hit the pedal...i used to do that with a slapped dead note, so it resembled a bass drum
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool... (Hey - whatever happened to that old thing, anyways?)

I've never recorded anything that short! I know there was a question asked here lately about the JamMan's three-point-something second minimum record length - does that mean that this wouldn't work on the JamMan, but it does on the old RC'?

14. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How about giving your drummer a cowbell-or as many as you need?
  15. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He's working on getting some, but i'm a bit of a control freak. He has 2 wood mouthblocks right now.
  16. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I use the COSM cowbell model in the Roland V-Bass. Nobody can tell the difference.
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Got clips?
  18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Except that it probably sounds like a cowbell with a $3000 condenser mic in front of it...

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really - now that I think about it, it's like playing a big'ol 'cowbell xylophone', huh?

20. Cowbylaphone?