cowboys boots?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by benrhodes, Aug 4, 2009.

1. benrhodes

benrhodes

May 13, 2009
    why are they associated with the american south/southeast if most cowboys actually worked in the plains region?

2. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    I was hoping this would be like the "Chicks in hats" thread.

3. benrhodes

benrhodes

May 13, 2009
    hot_cowgirl_lia19.jpg

now it is, but i still want the question answered

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I like boots.

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    pff screw the boots! id go for the... oh, damn, gotta keep it PG, gotta keep it PG

6. Most working cowboys did work in the plains region, but the boots were favored in the young south/southwest due to the fact that they were very durable and the preferred means of travel was horseback, which was part of the reason cowboy boots were designed.

Peace,
    Greg

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Also that fact that they are super comfortable all day comes into play. And you don't have to tie them.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    They're not. They're associated with the southwest, not the south or southeast.

9. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

Pulling them off!

10. What he said........ I can't think of any particular footwear that is associated with the Old South. When I lived there the guys were into those saddle oxfords:

[​IMG]

11. I live in the Southeast and lots of people wear them. They are country people (sometimes just rednecks). They like the look I guess.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I thought there were farmers in the plains region. They got cowboys up there?

-Mike

13. Yep.

I own several pairs, I've ridden horse AND drove cattle - and not on a dude ranch either. (too bad I'm seriously allergic to horses)

14. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    My favorite in Cowboy Boots:D

God Bless, Ray

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Huh..... Not really doing anything for me. But then again, I absolutely HATE country. Music, style, everything.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    While chicks look good in them, you'd definitely be laughed at if you wore them out here in my neighborhood.

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Location location. If you wore surf shorts and thongs around here all the time you would be laughed at too.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did see something weird when I was in San Antonio...Mexican dudes in cowboy boots and cowboy hats. I thought only white dudes were cowboys.

:D

-Mike

19. Actually the spaniards had the first "Cowboys", the Vaqueros. They taught us white people about roping cattle and other stuff.

BTW, Cowboy is not limited by color. I have seen a japanese cowboy. Funny lookin' feller, but he did a pretty good job of herding the cattle around.

Peace,
    Greg

20. There were also black cowboys.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021