1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

coworker cheating overtime?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lyes4string, May 16, 2011.

1. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    so i get to work this morning and notice one of the other two people who work in the warehouse with me came in for 4 hours on sat. this normally wouldnt even draw attention except our boss just made it pretty clear no more overtime, if you get any you just leave early at the end of the pay period. nows heres the thing on friday i left at 2:30 my normal time while the said person stayed to 5:30 half an hour ot. then came in sat for the 4 hours, and i cant tell he did anything after i left on friday. mind you no one is supposed to be seeing others time cards either, but come on man at least do something to make it look like you worked. has anyone ever had a similar problem with a coworker, how did you deal with it.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    He can't keep it a secret from the boss, if he wants to get paid for it. So, if the boss has said no overtime, then it's a simple disciplinary issue.

3. Hi.

Oh my.

Call the police, call the national guard, hell, call the IRS while You're at it.
    If in doubt, just dial 911.

Unless You're the said persons superior, or You don't know all the facts, just make sure that YOU have the things in order and let the nature run its course.

I've seen someone get fired on site for keeping a too close a track for other workers doings and non-doings, and that just has to be one of the silliest reasons to get sacked. Especially in the state the economy is ATM.

IMHO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

4. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    I gotta agree with T-Bird. If it's not influencing you I wouldn't get involved. What good could possibly come of it?

5. Maybe the he has already made an agreement with the boss?

Maybe he punched the time card but isn't planning on getting paid for it?

Sounds rubbish, but sometimes extra work needs to be done, and sometimes it's easier to take a few hours of your own time to do it.

6. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Does it really matter? Is it taking money from you or your family? If this guy's actions are not harming you or anyone else then I figure let karma do its thing, take care of your own business and all will be well.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    As an employee, if he brings it up to you and you don't tell the boss you could be liable.

If you saw it when you weren't supposed to then you are looking at potentially confidential records (personal time info). That could get you reprimanded.

I wouldn't report it. Unless the person comes to you and says they are doing it on purpose, then you know and it puts your job on the line for not telling the boss.

8. your op doesnt even have enough info for me to be close to convinced that he is "cheating overtime"

maybe he has a doctors appointment today and he's making up the lost time on saturday?
    or 152 other possible scenarios

sounds to me like you're just being a busy body

its okay that you are breaking the rules by looking his time card because you think you found out he was doing something wrong?

your seeing someone else's confidential information, which is exactly what that is, is a bigger liability to the company than him working overtime, which btw will be caught as soon as it goes to payroll

9. Stay out of it until the boss makes it necessary.

Oddly enough, I had a similar situation where a pharmacist was milking the clock for 4-5 hours a day and consistently. Oddly enough, management was aware and nothing ever happened to the guy.

10. He may already have had permission. If you're not supposed to see his time card, there shouldn't be an issue. If you are a union shop and you (or anyone else who didn't work Saturday) have seniority, there is an issue.

11. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    ok for all that is saying it doesnt involve me or effect me if he doesnt do any work that means more work for me on monday so yes it does effect me and yes its basically taking money from me if im doing the work he should have in the first place...the time cards arent really hidden thers only a few that all sit on top of each other so its hard not to notice. you must also take into fact that my work is a small buisiness not very corporate if you get what im saying.

12. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    What is your line of communication like with him? Drop the hint maybe? 'Your doing what your doing but I'm doing more because of what your doing, play the game mucka and let's keep it nice', I'd say something like that, and have in the past. Depends on what he'll listen to, otherwise it's up to the management to suss it out....my 2.

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    More work remaining = more hours.

More hours = overtime.

Your boss will have to either deal with your rumored slacking employee or start paying overtime again. Either way, it's a management problem.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Still doesn't give you the right to read confidential information that you're not supposed to read - you even mention this in your OP. About the absolute most that you can do is say, to your boss, that you notice nothing was done past 2:30 friday, even though the other employee was still there (since you'd normally know he was there without reading his timecard). Then let it up to management to investigate and do what they feel needs done.

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    You must be real popular at work.

16. gomer1.

17. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    So go to your boss and tell him all about it - why ask us?

Keep in mind that your boss will either appreciate that you are telling on your co-workers and may start going to you to ask you to spy on everyone, or he may be suspicious of you because he may think you're spying on him as well.

18. you looking at his confidential information is grounds for your termination and for a lawsuit to be brought against both you and the employer by this employee..

i cant help it is not an excuse

wouldnt get you out of a speeding ticket would it?

19. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Ignore it the best way you can for now. You're not the OT police...

If confronted by the boss about someone else's hours, tell him it's not your job to track what others are doing without giving you a pay increase, and new job title/responsibilities.

20. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    how is something confidential if i have to physically move it to get to my own time card. like i said he stays till the same time everyday so i dont need to look to see that. also his mother runs the books here so our boss never truly sees it. as i said this is a small buisness, i dont intend to bring anything up for the sake of keeping my job i just wanted to know how others have delt with work in this situation before. i dont want to sart anything because hes the type of person that would litterally run crying to the boss, i know i have to just eat it and do my job thats the way life is, but is it really that easy just to say eh screw it, so what he leaves at 11am at the end of the pay period for work he left me with instead of earning it.